Red cherry Shrimp Illegal??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brandon K.A

Aquarium Advice Freak
Anyone know if it is illegal to have Red cherry Shrimp in Hawaii? Freshwater ones. If so, know anywhere that sells it? I have looked at almost every pet store on island....If not, can I purchase them from ebay or is it illegal?

I have heard that it is illegal to import RCS into Hawaii. I don't have the sources to back that up but I do believe its to protect the seafood industry there. It is illegal in Maine as well to my understanding

Ok, thanks for the input. I have never seen Freshwater Cherry Shrimp for sale on island. Only saltwater volcano shrimp and clear feeder shrimp that die super fast...and don't breed in freshwater.:banghead:

I hate that restriction too. I tried asking aquascapes to order some but I found out that it's illegal.

bettaowner said:
I hate that restriction too. I tried asking aquascapes to order some but I found out that it's illegal.

Yea, it really puts a damper on things. Apparently, it is not illegal to own them, but it is illegal to import them.. I know you can get them from online auctions, but technically, that's illegal. Makes me wonder how lfs get shrimp and crayfish... Must be local breeders only.

The feeder shrimp and crayfish are not ornamental crustaceans and therefore are legal to import. Plus they've already been released into freshwater ways so really it's too late.

Back
Top Bottom