Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Invertebrates
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-15-2020, 12:41 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Red claw crab

So, Iím new to this forum. Iíve kept fish, turtles, frogs, snails and shrimp for over 20 years. So, when my husband bought a red claw crab, I was ok with it. It disappeared, so naturally I googled disappearing red claw crab. Which turned out to be normal. So we turned the house upside down looking for him/her. Nothing. This was about 2 months ago. This morning, we saw him on the turtles dock. We had the wth moment. He sat there most of the day. This evening, heís gone again. Where is this thing going? The substrate Iím that tank is just gravel. Itís a 55 gallon tank. The other 2 crabs are fiddler crabs. One of those disappeared too. This is the funniest thing Iíve seen. I thought they were semi-aquatic? Iím up before dawn and havenít seen him in the morning. Are they digging in the gravel? If so, theyíre doing a fine job. We tore the tank apart looking for him 2 months ago, lol

Old 08-16-2020, 02:24 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Not to make light of this situation but it is a little funny. "Surprise! Here I am", says the crab!

He is a crafty little guy to be sure.

Where did he go!?

Is every tiny gap and space including next to the tubing and heater wires sealed? I used duct tape over the small spots when we had Fiddler Crabs.

One of their favorite spots was on the intake tube or behind it.

But as you mentioned you took the place apart a couple months ago. Decorations with holes in the bottom?

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
claw, crab, red

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com