Removing pest snails from filter media to cycle another tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trashboat

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I have a 125 gallon mbuna cichlid tank with a pretty bad mts and ramshorn snail infestation. I have a 30 gallon tank with nothing but plants and snails, and a 10 gallon tank with a beta and you guessed it, snails. I just recently set up a 55 gallon planted tank. (So far no snails in that one) and Ive been keeping the snails under control in my other tanks. I'd like to add fish to the 55 gallon (I'm thinking tetras and guppies just a lot of schooling fish) id like to use filter media from one of the other tanks to kickstart the cycle, but I don't want to introduce snails. Any suggestions? Or should I just suck it up and do a fish in cycle. I've done it before but it's stressful for the fish and for me ?

That's a great question. It could definitely move eggs or super tiny babies. Anything I can think of to kill snaills I might not want in my other tank. Like copper med. Not sure if a high treatment of the media of Fenbendozole would kill them off positively???

So I have tried using copper in the past to kill snails, I tried this in my planted 10 gallon. I removed my beta and really overdosed the tank. They lived. They all lived. I hear they're supposed to be super sensitive to copper but I put like 10 tablespoons of copper sulfate in there and nope they lived. Maybe I didn't let it sit long enough, I didn't want to leave it in so long that it'd leach into the substrate and I did several water changes before I reintroduced the beta. I managed to kill my jungle val doing this. But not the freaking snails lol.

Yes, for media, I would treat outside of tank. It figures the snails wouldn't die. Only any critters you want to live would die, right?

Yeah I'll try dosing some of the media with copper sulfate and maybe salt? Idk if that'll kill eggs but hopefully it'll kill living critters

Back
Top Bottom