Seed Shrimp good or bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NStalgia

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys. So some seed shrimp appeared on a plant I bought and I was thinking of moving then in a bigger container with some guppy grass. Any tips on what they eat? Also would it be a bad idea to introduce them into a 15 gallon tank that I'm setting up for some guppies or swordtails? What are the pros and cons?

Does that mean I managed to make some infusoria in one of my containers of plants? Nice. But do they become pest over time? Can they over populate a tank? Thanks for the tutorial btw, gonna come in handy when I get fry's.

They don't become a pest and if you get lots, use a fine mesh net to scoop some out and put them in another container. Some shops buy them and use them as live fish food.

Ok so I added them in a couple tanks. Problem is the fish don't seem to eat them. I mean they try but they just spit them back out. I tried with my platty and betta. I think maybe cause they're too hard to chew?

Perhaps the need time to get used to them, or they eat younger or the softer ones. Also Kuhli Loaches would probably like them if you ever thought of keeping them, they are fun to watch. Can't recall what fish you have but wouldn't advise them with Dwarf Shrimps.

I loved seeing videos of kuhli back then. Definitely wanted some but when I saw them in person it kinda weirded me out. I think it's cause of the way they moved. Might still get some once I've properly scaped my 15 gal.

I can see some really small younger seed shrimp in my tub with plants and wanted to see if my fish would eat them. Problem is they're too small to catch and monitor once I drop them in my tank. Right now my plan is to make them reproduce in my bamboo forest tank where I'll be putting in some dwarf panda guppies and some rcs. Hoping they reproduce with minimal supervision.

Back
Top Bottom