Setting up a shrimp only tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kitsmama

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone just wondering what your favorite tips or tricks are for keeping a shrimp only tank. My tank has only been cycling since Thursday so since I have time while the tank is doing it’s thing I figured I’d gather as much information possible so I can build an adequate home for some awesome shrimp. I’m new to aquarium keeping and I’m obsessed, day and night I’m researching everything I can but sometimes the best answers come from you guys here! So here are a few questions and some information about my tank so far:
6 gallon
So far I have some drift wood and lava rocks
Sponge filter
Java moss (on its way)
Floating Water spangles

Ph 6.8
Alkalinity 40
Hardness 80
Nitrite and nitrate zero
I’m looking into getting neocaridinas when tank is cycled.
How can I improve my water parameters for this type of shrimp?
What is the best temp for them? Should I get a heater?
What is a favorite food to feed? How often to feed?
How many should I start with for my sized tank? I don’t want to over crowd as I read they can multiply quickly.
Should I add mystery snails?

I thank you all in advance!!

Hi! I recently have done the same. What I struggled with in the beginning is shrimp don’t have much of a bio load. So I was suggested a mystery snail in order to add to that bio load and to feed on waste. It helped balance everything out. I started with 15 cherry reds. I have read a lot of different opinions on temp but mostly cooler temp is what I found. I keep my tank at 70 and they are thriving. I don’t have a heater as most heaters have an error of +or -2 shrimp in general are easily shocked so avoiding fast changes where you can is a plus. As far as food I went with shrimp king complete and some sinking waters. They seem to love it. I have heard they aren’t extremely picky though. I also know sometimes people feed them blanched veggies haven’t tried yet but plan to. Excited to hear how the tanks going. Hopefully this helps a bit.

There are plenty of good shrimp foods out there - your local fish store (called LFS, you'll see people referring to them that way here), and also big box stores and online sell them. Check the label and make sure there's no copper in it. Copper kills crustaceans. I feed every 2-3 days. Check the package for amount recommendations.

Shrimp absolutely adore lotus pods. In a small tank, one will suffice. They live in it like an apartment house and also nibble on it. Imagine eating your house bit by bit! Lotus pods can be found online (I get mine from a really nice guy on Etsy).

They also adore Indian Almond Leaves (also called Catappa leaves). Online (I found them on ebay). These provide excellent tannins that will increase the health of everyone in there. They nibble at these too. The leaves turn the water brownish for awhile but that wears off, nothing to worry about.

They still need a bit of food, as well as these things they love to nibble.

A small tank can handle a mystery snail; more might tend to be crowded, especially if you have plants and a decor piece in there. Mysteries are so much fun to watch! They can be fed the same crustacean food/algae tab mix as shrimp. If you're buying to feed both shrimp and snails the package marked "sinking pellets" will be better for the snail's access, and the shrimp will go for it too.

Back
Top Bottom