Sexing cherry shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChristinaBanana

Aquarium Advice Newbie
At first i thought one wasn't healthy, though they are both quite active. Now I'm beginning to think it is a gender difference?

I'm new to this, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, does anyone know if the addition of a few guppies would be safe for these little guys? There's plenty of hiding spots in the tank - all levels of plants.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20200520_211336.jpg
    20200520_211336.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 25
Are you meaning the color of the shrimp? health issue?

Fish naturally enjoy little foods in the habitat. Invertebrates are foods for many fish. Any item which can fit into the mouth of a fish can become food.

So, it is possible that a couple/few male Guppies or Endlers might cohabitate fine with adult shrimp. It gets trickier when there are babies, and most people want babies. They are small, tender and delicious little snacks for fish.

Sometimes an aquarist will allow the shrimp population to grow to (or buy) however many adult shrimp you want to observe in your tank, and then purchase some fish to live together, aware that the baby shrimp may continue to populate the tank or some eaten and some get to adult size.

It depends on your objective. Many people want to breed shrimp and sell some to make some spare hobby cash / trade. And many like watching a tank with fun creatures all over.

What do you think your biggest interest is right now?

One other option is to remove the biggest, best, most colorful Cherry shrimp to a breeding tank and enjoy watching the fun antics of the other Cherry shrimp amongst the Guppies.

In most cases of keeping shrimp AND fish together (for me), after fish were removed from the tank, the population of shrimp increased in a big way!

Also females of the Guppy and Endlers are voracious monsters and look high and low for foods (to further their growing babies), so I absolutely think having females would be a huge detriment to the colony of shrimp.

Hi there,

Thanks for the response.
I'm actually not looking to breed, I just want to keep them healthy. I was worried that one's color seemed to have become pale rather quickly, even though she is active as ever.

I also don't want them to become guppy food! Right now it's just the 2 shrimp and a snail and I was hoping to add a little more life to the tank, which seems big and empty (besides all the plants).

Back
Top Bottom