Sexing Shrimps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trungdo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
As far as I know, I have tons of females and I am desperately trying to get a male. I did take some pictures and hopefully one of them is a male. Another question, My shrimps will randomly die off after being purchased from the fish store. Is it normal for some of them not to make it after being shipped to the fish store then the drive home. ( I would assume it's real tough since it can get 90+ degrees easily here.) Anyways, if you can tell if they are male and female it would be awesome.

Attachments

• 20150823_212242.jpg
    20150823_212242.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 68
  • 20150823_212628.jpg
    20150823_212628.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 20150823_212602.jpg
    20150823_212602.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 70
See the one in the picture that is a little more clear and smaller than the others that's a male. the big nontransparent ones are the females if there all at their breeding age which I think they are.

~Mine Shaker

Sent from the crayfish lover Mine Shaker

Keeping red cherry shrimp on a red gravel doesn't make it easy to see but you definitely have a male in there.
The females of breeding age will have a distinctive saddle, usually yellow, on their backs just behind the head. These are the unfertilised eggs. After shedding she is receptive to a male and the fertilised eggs are then held by her claspers under her body. The young shrimp when hatched are TINY copies of the parents.
It is quite common for the female to ditch the first couple of batches of eggs so don't get despondent if this happens.
As for losses, it's quite common to lose a few shrimp if the tank is new. Shrimp don't specifically like dirty tanks but seem not to fair well in new pristine tanks.
Now my colonies are large I rarely find a dead shrimp, mainly because the other eat it. Not nice, but that's nature for you!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I appreciate the responses. One pet store gave me fire shrimp but the death rate is about 75%.

My water parameters are very good.
I have tons of plants and the tank has been running for 4 months
readings for nitrate, nitrite and ammonia is 0ppm. (I believe the plants are absorbing all the bad stuff.)
KH is about 4 degrees
GH is about 5 degrees
PH is approximately 8.0 (should i lower this to 7.8) if so how?

In any case, I bought shrimp from another LFS without a single death! This whole time I was thinking it was me but I believe the difference is one was shipped from another country (poor shrimp) while the other LFS has breed them domestically.

From the second store, some were pregnant and had babies in my tank! I can see them so I believe my shrimp should start having babies soon if the females can give birth.

Again, thanks for the help everyone!

You can lower your pH, all the way to 6 if you like.

Anyways, to lower your pH, you can use peat moss, but red cherries are the easiest to care for, and will acclimate to ph8. Best is to keep your water prestine, rather than trying to keep your pH.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom