Shrimp!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justme68

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi All! Thinking about getting some shrimp for my 29g in the future. I was all set on getting red cherries but I've since seen the mandarin and some yellow ones. Is any one better than the other? I've researched some and they appear the same. Could I get a couple of each? If so, would they cross breed? I'm wanting something colorful, my stock is 6 Von Rio (flame) tetra, 6 black phantom tetra and 4 spotted Cory cats. I'm thinking about getting some Kerri tetra from severum also. I have black sand for substrate. Thanks!

Assuming they are the same species, then yeah they will interbreed. I'm not always up with the different shrimp names. I know there is a yellow neocardinia species and an orange one, but there are also some yellow and orange ones that are not the same species as RCS.

I've been told that the red cherries and the yellow sakuras are the same species (I heard that the word sakura is japanese for "cherry" not sure how true it is). Both are pretty hardy, and you can look for ones that are really brightly colored.
I don't know anything about the mandarin ones you mentioned.

Thanks guys....just didn't want cross breeding and some funky colors as a result :)

Justme68 said:
Hi All! Thinking about getting some shrimp for my 29g in the future. I was all set on getting red cherries but I've since seen the mandarin and some yellow ones. Is any one better than the other? I've researched some and they appear the same. Could I get a couple of each? If so, would they cross breed? I'm wanting something colorful, my stock is 6 Von Rio (flame) tetra, 6 black phantom tetra and 4 spotted Cory cats. I'm thinking about getting some Kerri tetra from severum also. I have black sand for substrate. Thanks!

Your bigger Tetras may eat your Shrimp. If you have a lot of plants some may live, but may not come out.

Amanos would be better. If you want to try, start with RCS, they should be hardy and less expensive.

Caridina species will interbreed with other Caridinas.
Neocaridinas will not cross with Caridinas.
I have RCS with CRS for example.

When the diffrent neocaridina color strains are crossed with each other the result alot of times is just them reverting back to the wild colors.

Sakuras are just a specifically bred strain from RCS. They will interbreed. Also, Neo's will breed with other Neo's (neocardina) same thing with cradinas. Interbreedig will cause the shrimp their wild color to come back (brown), will cause lower immune systems, and shorter life spans. All in all, weak shrimp. however, you can keep Neo's with cardinas.
Example-

Neocardina heteropoda var.red (RCS) CAN be kept with Cardina Cantonensis (CRS)

Neocardina heteropoda var.red CAN'T be kept with Neocardina zhangjiajiensis (snowballs and blue pearls)

Heres a small list

Things that can cross breed.

(neocaridinas) - All cherries, sakura, fire red, painted fire reds, yellows, orange pumpkins, wild forms

(caridina) - CRS, CBS, tiger shrimp, golden bees, black king kongs, red rubies

Exception, Caridina Balbuti cannot cross with any caridinas listed above.

The two different families, neocaridina and caridina cannot cross breed. But all others in the same list can

But you never know if the supplier had them cross down the line anywhere,

i've had CRS give birth to complete golden bees, and i've have oranges give birth to cherry/fire reds :p

its all a guessing game now a days, this cross breeding it to re-strengthen the gene pools so less defects and stronger shrimp are born:)

Back
Top Bottom