Shrimp and snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trkchezz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Was at the LFS recently and the owner said something about adding snails To my shrimp only tank as the shrimp love the snail slim trail and will eat their poop. Anyone heard of this or have any knowledge? Thank in advance!

Shrimp will rifle through the stuff in the bottom of the tank, they are scavengers. For poop you use a filter and can vac if needed with a petite sized vac. But Shrimp poop very little amount. Over feeding would be the bigger issue.

Mystery Snails have done a ammonia nuke on my tank, on my Blue Velvets, 2x. They were growing in the tank and got larger and larger until at near adult and adult size this happened, the death really took a toll on the tank for the one I didn't find/know about for a few days. I lost lots of shrimp. The other just lost a few shrimp but now I will use their tank as a grow up but when the MS get to be the size of a grape they need to go to a big tank. My water is tough on snails.

Ramshorn snails are great and I never had had any issue with them.

If you have very hard water I have heard that the RH tend to do too well in a stable tank and with a little extra food can over populate.

In that case just would be sure to watch feeding but more importantly if there are too many RH then sell them off or more to a different tank to keep the poop down from them and also that ou just wouldn't want too many in the tank. Also snails are poop machines. I would maybe do say 3 -5 in a small tank ~5G.

I had planted bowls with snails and those snails made a million times more mess than shrimp ever did.

Some kinds of snails can tend to eat plants or will for sure eat plants.

Tylomelania zemis Poso /Rabbit snails are said to eat some kinds of plants and some seem to eat plants moreso then others. They are really cute.

Trapdoor snails are supposed to be plant eaters.

I would make sure to feed a plant based food every week for them, like a seaweed blend food like this Hikari Marine Seaweed Extreme - Rapidly Softening Seaweed Rich Sinking Wafers & Pellets For Marine Herbivores shrimp like it too. Great for color for the Blue Shrimp as well.

Shrimp will rifle through the stuff in the bottom of the tank, they are scavengers. For poop you use a filter and can vac if needed with a petite sized vac. But Shrimp poop very little amount. Over feeding would be the bigger issue.

Mystery Snails have done a ammonia nuke on my tank, on my Blue Velvets, 2x. They were growing in the tank and got larger and larger until at near adult and adult size this happened, the death really took a toll on the tank for the one I didn't find/know about for a few days. I lost lots of shrimp. The other just lost a few shrimp but now I will use their tank as a grow up but when the MS get to be the size of a grape they need to go to a big tank. My water is tough on snails.

Ramshorn snails are great and I never had had any issue with them.

If you have very hard water I have heard that the RH tend to do too well in a stable tank and with a little extra food can over populate.

In that case just would be sure to watch feeding but more importantly if there are too many RH then sell them off or more to a different tank to keep the poop down from them and also that ou just wouldn't want too many in the tank. Also snails are poop machines. I would maybe do say 3 -5 in a small tank ~5G.

I had planted bowls with snails and those snails made a million times more mess than shrimp ever did.

Some kinds of snails can tend to eat plants or will for sure eat plants.

Tylomelania zemis Poso /Rabbit snails are said to eat some kinds of plants and some seem to eat plants moreso then others. They are really cute.

Trapdoor snails are supposed to be plant eaters.

I would make sure to feed a plant based food every week for them, like a seaweed blend food like this Hikari Marine Seaweed Extreme - Rapidly Softening Seaweed Rich Sinking Wafers & Pellets For Marine Herbivores shrimp like it too. Great for color for the Blue Shrimp as well.

Wow thank you!

Ive already got one RH snail in the tank, waiting for the temps to warm up until I order the shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom