Shrimp bait

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giffmastaflex

Aquarium Advice Freak
I want to change my substrate from play sand to pool filter sand on my 20 gallon shrimp tank but I have shrimp from all sizes in there. Is there any way to trap all my shrimp in a small container? I have about 20 shrimp in the tank now.

You can catch them with a net, it doesn't take that long for 20. I caught over 125 by hand/net before. Often there are tiny babies in there too. I use a white bucket so I can see them darting about. I will swirl the water in a circle, and see if anything darts in a different direction. Then scoop them up.

You can skip a feeding so they will be hungry, and just put a little piece of food in a net and wait for a bunch to come over to it.

Another way I didn't try yet, was to get a plastic water bottled water water bottle and cut the top 1/3rd off and invert the top so the part the cap goes on is inside the bottle. you will need a rock or weight in it so it doesn't float and add your food inside it. In theory they climb in and you can pick up your trap and put them into your bucket.

There are little kid size water bottles too and you could use one of those if you are tight on space.

I just catch mine as it seems faster! not so much waiting.

Here is a pic of a trap I made with fishing line and a stainless tea ball lol
60074-albums9764-picture57414.jpg

Ok I'll keep that in mind and I know alot is in the java moss I have so I can take that out and put that in a bucket as well

Back
Top Bottom