Shrimp beginner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fullmoonnight

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just a quick question, can you put different shrimp together? Like Blue Velvets and Blue rili or green shrimp? Also, if I kept them in an open top habitat would they crawl away?

you can, but there is a good chance they would interbreed. You'll have to check the species name to see for sure (I've never kept either)

I know that almost all of the neocardinia species will interbreed and eventually if you keep mixing colors you'll end up with brown offspring. like say, RCS mixed with yellows and blues or something...

In general, shrimp will only try to escape if water quality is bad... I've always kept all mine open topped and have never noticed any escapee's.

you can, but there is a good chance they would interbreed. You'll have to check the species name to see for sure (I've never kept either)

I know that almost all of the neocardinia species will interbreed and eventually if you keep mixing colors you'll end up with brown offspring. like say, RCS mixed with yellows and blues or something...

In general, shrimp will only try to escape if water quality is bad... I've always kept all mine open topped and have never noticed any escapee's.

I see. I was thinking of trying for a sort of rainbow shrimp tank. Entertaining isn't it.:brows: How long do shrimp typically live and breed?

That's good. I was planning on a small table top shrimp habitat with marimos and anubias. It would be rather bad to be eating diner and picking up escaped shrimp carcass.

Those shrimp will interbreed, and revert to their natural brown-ish coloring. You can however keep one of those with a shrimp such as Crystal Red or Black, Bee Shrimp, Tiger Shirmp, I would suggest you research, there is so much information to share!

They so have shrimp called "rainbow shrimp" maybe you should try those? :)
They are a variation of RCS, they have them on aquabid pretty often for a good price, and that'd get you what your looking for!

I think shrimp generally live for about 1.5 years maybe? Depending on the species, but most breed like rabbits, so you'll have plenty of generations to keep the tank going for a long time.

Those shrimp will interbreed, and revert to their natural brown-ish coloring. You can however keep one of those with a shrimp such as Crystal Red or Black, Bee Shrimp, Tiger Shirmp, I would suggest you research, there is so much information to share!

Yikes. That would be very counter productive. I think I'll just keep it to a color specific tank then.

They so have shrimp called "rainbow shrimp" maybe you should try those? :)
They are a variation of RCS, they have them on aquabid pretty often for a good price, and that'd get you what your looking for!

I think shrimp generally live for about 1.5 years maybe? Depending on the species, but most breed like rabbits, so you'll have plenty of generations to keep the tank going for a long time.

I googled rainbow shrimp and got a mantis shrimp. lol if only the rainbow shrimp actually looked like that haha.
I don't think aquabid ships to Canada?

That's cool. Do you think it would be a good investment to get some $8 blue velvet shrimp then? If so how many? $ Oh, and what is the difference between blue velvet and blue rili? $8 is kinda expensive in my opinon. Then again I have no job and i'm a student...everything is expensive to me.

"Rainbow Shrimp" are simply the wild form of Neocaridina heteropoda, which is why they throw brown, red and green babies. These genetic abnormalities are what allowed people to selectively breed the Neocaridina species in to all the domestic ornamental variants we see today.

Like Scottyhorse said mixing Neos will result in the shrimp reverting back into their wild color forms. While you can mix Neocaridina and Caridina I would not recommend it because one species will end up oh competing the other. I myself prefer one color per tank with plenty of live plants.

The ornamental shrimp can range in price from $1-100+ per shrimp, it just depends on the newness and quality of the strain. $3-10 per shrimp is a very common range for the Neocaridina shrimp. $8 is pretty high for blue velvets, I sell mine for $5 per shrimp +shipping. That may seem like allot but I have a strong line that I have worked hard at maintaining and ensuring that they breed true.

img_2442804_0_216f40b58636d2df1f11d59231a6c702.jpg

Some sellers on aquabid will ship to canada, just look for a canadian flag at the end of the auction's name. Or a world usually means they'll ship everywhere.

I personally would start out with a cheaper shrimp since you are a beginner. That way if they don't work out for you then you aren't losing a ton of money. I myself started with RCS and now I'm trying to get some red rilis and eventually cardinals.

The only difference between blue rilis and blue velvets is blue velvets are a solid color and rilis have white stripes on them. I believe they are both of the cardinia species though I've not done much research on them.

The only difference between blue rilis and blue velvets is blue velvets are a solid color and rilis have white stripes on them. I believe they are both of the cardinia species though I've not done much research on them.

Blue Rilis, Red Rilis and Blue Velvets are all Neocaridina Heteropoda Variants. Rilis should be clear in the middle not white.

Back
Top Bottom