Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Invertebrates
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-02-2021, 03:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Shrimp “cleaning” fish

Anyone ever seen a picking / cleaning behavior where their shrimp (mine are cherries) kinda pick at their bottom dwelling fish? I have Pygmy cories in my shrimp tank and every once in a while I see a cherry picking at one of the fish.

The fish seem healthy and will eventually get annoyed and swim away but the cherries can be quite persistent in the behavior and will keep at it until the fish darts away to rest/forage elsewhere. The fish seem pretty tolerant of it for 30 seconds or so, which at first made me worry the fish were ill! But a minute later both are back to foraging normally. And. I’ve seen this behavior over a week or so with no indication the fish aren’t well.

I know that there are plenty of shrimp / fish symbiotic relationships like that in the wild, but I’ve never noticed it with cherry shrimp and was wondering if that was a common behavior people saw in their shrimp tanks?

I attached a couple pictures from feeding time today. The first is of a particularly persistent example of the behavior (you can see why I worried the fish were sick at first!) and the second just a few seconds later when both were back to foraging for the shrimp pellets i had put in earlier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	42465F89-72B1-411E-9D20-B2AC29540A3C.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	252.6 KB
ID:	319992   Click image for larger version

Name:	BDDE8F0E-37D3-41B9-AB63-A91A0BD8C17F.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	257.0 KB
ID:	319993  

Old 03-03-2021, 01:00 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Interesting idea for the FW Cherries. I see them pick at everything in a tank including the shells of snails, riding along and picking for quite some time. Will watch more now you brought this up, hahahaha!

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clean, cleaning, fish, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com