Shrimp Die After Water Change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talkinggoat

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have an issue where if I simply change the water, all the ghost shrimp start flicking around and die. The water I use has no chlorine and it's the same water they were introduced to, when I put them in. Curious to see if anyone has any thoughts.

Is this a long term thing or has it suddenly started happening?

Are you sure your water isnt treated?

Are you temperature matching new water with your tanks water?

It has happened every time. The water I'm using has nothing in it; it comes from an evaporator coil, so it's 100% pure water and it's the same water the aquarium was filled with, originally. I thought of the temperature, as well, so I measured it with a thermometer. I perform 25% water changes about once a week and I don't add anything.

So the water you are adding is effectively devoid of any disolved minerals etc, similar to RO water. That could be your issue. Its normal reminerise RO water.

It has happened every time. The water I'm using has nothing in it; it comes from an evaporator coil, so it's 100% pure water and it's the same water the aquarium was filled with, originally. I thought of the temperature, as well, so I measured it with a thermometer. I perform 25% water changes about once a week and I don't add anything.

What’s the coil made out of?

It's an aluminum and copper coil, but if it were the coil dissolving metal into the water, why would it not kill them, when they were initially introduced?

It's an aluminum and copper coil, but if it were the coil dissolving metal into the water, why would it not kill them, when they were initially introduced?

Idk, but why don’t you try a water change with distilled water or treated tap and see if you get the same problem, if not it’s probably copper leaching in in small amounts.

I suppose I could try distilled water, but our tap water is about as bad a Flint tap water.

I’m not a shrimp expert but my experience with very soft water has been problematic over the years. My tap water is about 30ppm and is practically RO water.

Remineralisation is extremely important. But rapid fluctuations of certain ions can also cause harm.

Adding some tap water to your RO will probably be all that is required.

Whilst not impossible, my hunch is that the copper coil is unlikely to be the issue here and is more likely the pure water being added.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom