Shrimp Emergency

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dragooness

Aquarium Advice Regular
My female blue rilli berried up for the first time yesterday. Used the flashlight to check on her (she hangs out behind the filter intake) and she has what looks like the tip of a very active whiteworm on her head!

From what I know, its some kind of parasite. I know a short saltwater bath can kill most parasites, but should I with her eggs? This is my ONLY female in the colony I think! I know for sure two more are male, and I have only ever seen four shrimp at one time!

I am removing the molts now, is there anything else I can do?

Water params

ph 6.8
amm .25 ppm
kh 10dKH
nitrite 0
gh 6 dKH
nitrate 10 ppm

I am doing a gallon of water change with a drip system at the moment.

It’s called Scutariella.

There are gentler ways than a salt bath. Paraguard and remove molts for example, or pratzipro. You’ll want to remove molts for a while. You could even wait until she hatches the eggs before starting treatment if you want because unless the infestation is overwhelming they’re not a huge deal.

Not related to the worm but you’ll want to get that ammonia down ASAP. Shrimp are very sensitive to it.

The issue is I may or may not be able to get to a lfs tomorrow.... So much is shut down!

Yes, I am working on it. Its just a bit slow to come down, I can only change about a gallon a day with the slow drip I use. I try to avoid changing water params and temps quickly. I usually change a half gallon a day, as I am feeding the CPD heavy to get them to breeding size.

And you have aquarium salt on hand? Honestly I’d be worried about that being too harsh for a berried shrimp. I’d probably just wait, it’s a benign enough parasite that delay in getting meds won’t be a problem and you can just order online.

I would do a larger change to get the ammonia down. Ammonia in the water is way more damaging then a quicker shift in parameters. Just match temp well.

And you have aquarium salt on hand? Honestly I’d be worried about that being too harsh for a berried shrimp. I’d probably just wait, it’s a benign enough parasite that delay in getting meds won’t be a problem and you can just order online.

I would do a larger change to get the ammonia down. Ammonia in the water is way more damaging then a quicker shift in parameters. Just match temp well.

Actually I do have aquarium salt on hand. I used to have sevral saltwater tanks, I kept the salt for raising brine if I needed to.

Oddly the one on her face disapeared. Had a panic moment when I couldent find her. Shes found the cleverest hiding spot on the tank! I bought a wood peice with java from petco... Oh a year or so ago. Its concave, and fits in a corner. The gall had got under it and turned upside down so her back was resting on the twine! It amazes me how smart they can be!

Hopefully I can go to a LFS tomorrow. If not, I will have to order online. I am working my prime to death lately!

Edit : after a gallon water change ammonia was back at 0. Possibly I am blind, or I mistested. Am taking a sample to all three lfs tomorrow if open

DEFINITELY external. It was flopping, looked like a white leech!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing. It VANISHED. Ill treat the tank for parasites after she drops eggs.... if no one else berries up. Even then I may treat

Back
Top Bottom