Shrimp Food Recommendation Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kashif314

Aquarium Advice Addict
I want a complere staple shrimp food in granules or small grain shape which doesn't have fish meal included.

I found Hikari but it has fish meal as first ingredient. I bought Dennerele shrimp king complete but they are large sticks and break down easily. I don't want to use a feeding dish. Want a food which i can sprinkle all over tank. Please suggest me what nice food available in market which is in small granules shape. I mean complere food. Not like protein only or color enhancers food. Any food which has all the required ingredients and is in small granuels shape. Please help.

I am feeding my Amano's Fluval Shrimp Granules with multi-vitamins in it. They will drop whatever they are doing to grab a piece. Only thing is it does have fish meal.

Just a couple days ago, I started trying a sample pack of food from Shrimp King. So far only tried the greens and the shrimp didn't really care. I like the tiny food of Shirakura Baby Shrimp Food. Not too sure if it has the fish meal.

Check out contents on Mosura foods I have them on the list next to try, hear many really positive things about their foods.

I am feeding my Amano's Fluval Shrimp Granules with multi-vitamins in it. They will drop whatever they are doing to grab a piece. Only thing is it does have fish meal.
Thanks a lot. Yes it does have fish meal.
Just a couple days ago, I started trying a sample pack of food from Shrimp King. So far only tried the greens and the shrimp didn't really care. I like the tiny food of Shirakura Baby Shrimp Food. Not too sure if it has the fish meal.

Check out contents on Mosura foods I have them on the list next to try, hear many really positive things about their foods.
Thanks a lot. Baby food often is enriched with protein so i am avoiding it. Shirakura is great brand but its staple food comes in pads and not in granules and same goes for Mosura. I did see that Mosura excel comes in flakes but is excel a complete food? You have any experience with flake foods Maam?

Shrimp eat everything and anything. Mine always go swimming for frozen foods.

Not really with the flaked foods.

I just ordered 2 large amounts of sample foods approximately 15-20 "samples" of 3-5 gram amounts, large number of manufacturers - a few were thank you samples which would be 1g. If I see anything which fits your interests I will let you know.

As for actual flake foods, I tend to be really cautious with them as they can turn to ammonia in the tank quickly. All new foods you should be conservative in use until you can monitor/test the water, how they break down in one's tanks.

Some of the foods are pelleted very finely like a powder or very close to a powder in particulate size, and encased to keep them fresher.

It seems the Mosura is flaked and looks like a diet they could eat on a regular basis, though targeted to feed a breeding colony and says 50/50 ratio of plant and aquatic animal content.

For the most part shrimp are scavengers and although they eat algae material frequently, they graze on microscopic aufwuch and decaying aquatic creatures, as well as plant type materials, and as far as I know there isn't a truly only vegetarian shrimp. They can get aggressive to eat meaty foods.

To understand better, are you trying to avoid meat type foods or "fish meal" specifically?

Shrimp eat everything and anything. Mine always go swimming for frozen foods.
Not really with the flaked foods.

I just ordered 2 large amounts of sample foods approximately 15-20 "samples" of 3-5 gram amounts, large number of manufacturers - a few were thank you samples which would be 1g. If I see anything which fits your interests I will let you know.

As for actual flake foods, I tend to be really cautious with them as they can turn to ammonia in the tank quickly. All new foods you should be conservative in use until you can monitor/test the water, how they break down in one's tanks.

Some of the foods are pelleted very finely like a powder or very close to a powder in particulate size, and encased to keep them fresher.

It seems the Mosura is flaked and looks like a diet they could eat on a regular basis, though targeted to feed a breeding colony and says 50/50 ratio of plant and aquatic animal content.

For the most part shrimp are scavengers and although they eat algae material frequently, they graze on microscopic aufwuch and decaying aquatic creatures, as well as plant type materials, and as far as I know there isn't a truly only vegetarian shrimp. They can get aggressive to eat meaty foods.

To understand better, are you trying to avoid meat type foods or "fish meal" specifically?
Thanks lot for the detailed replies. Well i want to avoid fish meal as i read shrimp staple food must not have them. Both shrimp king and Glasgarten never use them and mention specially that "NO FISH MEAL" included. So i just asume its its something not right for shrimps specially when fish meal is listed as first ingredient.

And yes i myself was in doubt about flake foods. Thanks you explained. I will stick with pellets. How about Glasgarten shrimp dinner granules? Do you have any experience with them? They are not very small but not very big either and they don't break down like Shrimp king hence so mess. I never used it but heard good things about them.

Back
Top Bottom