Shrimp help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tony_540

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just started a shrimp tank with4 red cherry shrimp. I will get more, maybe 6-10 I have a 3 gallon tank, yes there is a betta but I will take him out today, can you people help me? Tell me what I need to do? And what will be best for them? Thanks! I also know to out a sponge on the filter I will do that today as well ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397768081.507883.jpg please let me know what I can do to keep them healthy, thanks!

Red Cherry Shrimp are very easy to care for. Keep water temps and PH stable, NO ammonia or nitrites, and feed sparingly (twice a week) until your colony grows in size. When I say feed sparingly I mean one tiny piece if flake food. I also give mine a small piece of microwaved zuccini now and then to keep things interesting.

What size tank are you running? In a ten gallon you can comfortably have up to 100 red cherries IMO and these guys breed fast.

I feed mine more often but VERY little amount. Is your tank cycled? If you need some tank and fish basics you can check out the link in my signature.

Do not rinse the filter pad in tap water... Do you have a filter on it? Use treated water or the old tank water to rinse the worst and then some treated water to get it a little better, and just swish it back and forth a few times.

I would get them some Shrimp food, not food made from shrimp, but food made for shrimp to eat. Also would not do flake in a tank so small, it has a huge risk of getting ammonia from uneaten flake food which is bad for shrimp. Hikari makes a Shrimp Cuisine, and if you can't find that, try a part of a pellet of Crab Cuisine, available at your LFS or usually Petco for 3.99. They have minerals and stuff good for their shells.

I also get some cuttlebone from the bird section and let it float until it sinks and then stick it in the sand vertically in the back, like a surfboard. You can break it in half or in four quarters if you prefer.

Don't scrub the heck out of the glass and decorations, as they like to eat biofilm from them. Over cleaning and large water changes are not helpful for them.

If you need to do water changes so you have proper parameters for them then that is more important of course. After you have a stable tank, then 10% a week should be fine. After you have a mature tank and stable parameters, some people will do less frequent pwc. But that is only if the parameters are good.

Have fun with and enjoy your new shrimp.

Yes I have a filter, and I will have to put the sponge on it, all my plants are real and I have drift wood, I've had the tank for a while now and recently added the shrimp ofcouse I will take the betta out, and I will try and buy shrimp food like u said. And yes I use both drinking water and tap water (with. Aquasafe) thanks!

Back
Top Bottom