shrimp id

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another pic,red body with a yellow stripe down its back from its head all the way down to the end of its tail..

ForumRunner_20130130_234438.jpg

It's a Bamboo shrimp. The sure fire way to tell is you'd see fan like appendages they use to filter microbes out of the water for food.

I have another that I wasn't able to find for a pic,same yellow stripe but the body is purple...

I have another that I wasn't able to find for a pic,same yellow stripe but the body is purple...

Not sure on that one ... Bamboo shrimp are generally reddish, brownish. If it's a shrimp you can look at, see if it's got the appendages. Then at least you'll know it's a filter feeder.

It's a Bamboo shrimp. The sure fire way to tell is you'd see fan like appendages they use to filter microbes out of the water for food.

I've had these in my tank going on 8 months along with cherries&crystals...they've not grown much at all...same size as the cherries..I feed a high quality shrimp food to both my shrimp tanks,so diet is not a concern...

Is there a chance that the purple one could've bred with a cherry producing the the red with the yellow stripe? Got another good look at it & no fans on the appendages..

Is there a chance that the purple one could've bred with a cherry producing the the red with the yellow stripe? Got another good look at it & no fans on the appendages..

No fan appendages and after 8 months it's only as big as cherry shrimp means it's definitely not a Bamboo. My smallest Bamboo is still double the size of my largest Cherry Shrimp.

Can't say what shrimp it is then.

No. That is not how you get the coloration of the shrimp. It's a specific gene that was been bred to enhance. Sadly, mixing a red shrimp plus a blue shrimp doesn't get you a purple shrimp.

I'm normally pretty good at inverts, but this one has me stumped. Sorry

I'll do my best,the tank is heavily planted so it will be difficult...lights come on at 5:30 so I'll be searching shortly thereafter..there are a few places I can usually look to em,I'll do a feeding&see if it'll bring em out for a good pic...

If you can't get the pic tonight skip a feeding or two and then feed 10-15 minutes right before the lights come on! They will be all down for a photo op!

It's been a couple days between feedings so today being feeding anyway I will feed the 10-15mins before lights as you recommend...here are 2 products I use inn my shrimp tanks..

ForumRunner_20130131_144607.jpg

So I've not been able to get a pic of the purple one just yet but did get a pic of this strange looking cherry..

ForumRunner_20130131_191425.jpg

If my faulty memory serves me I read/ someone said they have a brighter line on their back right after molting (could have been right before, but I think after). The darker one may just be a darker one, kinda burgundy plum purple?

Back
Top Bottom