Shrimp in a Betta Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoldeenTrix9898

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have set up a 5 gallon tank that's going to house one betta. I want to add some shrimp too, preferably ghost shrimp or RCS. It's a planted tank with anacharis, hornwort, one Amazon sword and one Anubias nana. Is this enough cover for shrimp?
I am also thinking of getting one of those ceramic ornaments with a bunch of tiny holes in them for the shrimp to hide in if the betta I eventually get is trying to munch on them. Will this work or will the shrimp just no know that they need to hide?
Will adding the shrimp first lessen the aggressiveness of the betta? I heard that they just assume they are part of the environment if the shrimp are there before the betta is. Has anybody tested this out?
Another thing, will RCS draw more aggro from a betta because they are red? If yes, I might just go with ghost shrimp.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I did block the filter intake because of shrimplets; some bettas have issues with it as well.

Shrimp and bettas depend on the individual fish. My betta lives with green rasboras and red rili shrimp, doesn't bother either. That being said while a betta might not bother adults you may not see fry either.

I did block the filter intake because of shrimplets; some bettas have issues with it as well.

Shrimp and bettas depend on the individual fish. My betta lives with green rasboras and red rili shrimp, doesn't bother either. That being said while a betta might not bother adults you may not see fry either.

Did you add the betta before or after the shrimp? I'm wondering if it makes a difference.

Another good hiding place for shrimp that they very much appreciate is cholla wood. I have 3" pieces in my smaller shrimp tanks. If you don't like the look of the wood alone you can attach moss to it.

img_3188631_0_6a77d3e69a18eab879ac4eb8726ee1ed.jpg

Another good hiding place for shrimp that they very much appreciate is cholla wood. I have 3" pieces in my smaller shrimp tanks. If you don't like the look of the wood alone you can attach moss to it.

img_3188653_0_6a77d3e69a18eab879ac4eb8726ee1ed.jpg

OOOOOoooooo, That looks very nice, I'm not sure I can get it at my local aquarium stores, but I sure will keep an eye out.

Han Aquatics is my favorite source for shrimp supplies (cholla, moss, IAL, etc). He also sells plants. Very nice guy, reasonable prices, and shipping rates aren't crazy.

Sadly, I live in Hong Kong, any place that not in HK itself is basically out, because shipping rates are crazy for some reason.

That definitely makes sense. You could try eBay though, lots of international sellers there.

That definitely makes sense. You could try eBay though, lots of international sellers there.

I went to Hong Kong's goldfish market today, where all the aquarium stuff seems to be. I picked up some floating plants, duckweed and one mystery plant, and also another clump of hornwort. I also found a nice ceramic tube structure for the shrimp. Hopefully that's enough cover.
I found some ghost shrimp and some red cherry shrimp for sale on the cheap, managed to pick up 14 of each for about 40 HKD, which is about 5 to 6 US dollars? I have already placed them into the tank and they seem fine. Two of the RCS already have eggs, and I'm wondering if I should just leave them in there to breed or if I should remove them because the ghost shrimp might eat the fry. The ghost shrimp are real aggressive with each other though, but nothing serious other than chasing each other.

Here are some pics of the tank and the shrimp. Any further advice would be real nice. Thanks!
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427010846.314554.jpg
This is the whole tank.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427010897.710194.jpg
Pregnant RCS
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427010931.352489.jpg
Shrimp and the mystery plant
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427010957.991771.jpg
A ghost and a RCS
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427010984.306169.jpg
RCS on the wall ornament, they adore it for some reason.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Looks nice! Plenty of cover for the shrimp.

You really have to go in with the attitude that the betta will go after the shrimp. If it doesn't seem to bother the betta then that is a bonus.

My betta could never catch the shrimp anyway. The angel fish was a much better hunter.

If you don't mind the odd shrimp being eaten Id say that adding the shrimp will at least keep the betta busy looking for them in the plant growth. Will keep mind stimulated and the shrimp on their toes.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Looks nice! Plenty of cover for the shrimp.

You really have to go in with the attitude that the betta will go after the shrimp. If it doesn't seem to bother the betta then that is a bonus.

My betta could never catch the shrimp anyway. The angel fish was a much better hunter.

If you don't mind the odd shrimp being eaten Id say that adding the shrimp will at least keep the betta busy looking for them in the plant growth. Will keep mind stimulated and the shrimp on their toes.

I don't think I mind the betta eating a shrimp once in a while, these things are cheap where I am. Like 20 HKD for 20 ghost shrimp. They are kept as feeders, so I don't know how healthy they actually are, but they seem very lively. The cherry shrimp are slighty more expensive but not by much. And I can't seem to get my hands on brine shrimp or bloodworms so I think they could serve as a protein supplement or just a treat for the betta.

I don't think I mind the betta eating a shrimp once in a while, these things are cheap where I am. Like 20 HKD for 20 ghost shrimp. They are kept as feeders, so I don't know how healthy they actually are, but they seem very lively. The cherry shrimp are slighty more expensive but not by much. And I can't seem to get my hands on brine shrimp or bloodworms so I think they could serve as a protein supplement or just a treat for the betta.

If that is your mindset then go for it. Try to find a quality supplementary algae wafer and feed the shrimp veg like peas every now and then but try not to overfeed. Cut the wafers in to tiny pieces.

If that is your mindset then go for it. Try to find a quality supplementary algae wafer and feed the shrimp veg like peas every now and then but try not to overfeed. Cut the wafers in to tiny pieces.

I read that it's ok to feed them boiled fresh vegetables. In the pictures you can see a piece of broccoli that I boiled for about 4 min then stuck in there. The shrimp come and go and nibble on it a bit. Is that ok? I'll remove it when it starts to rot.

I read that it's ok to feed them boiled fresh vegetables. In the pictures you can see a piece of broccoli that I boiled for about 4 min then stuck in there. The shrimp come and go and nibble on it a bit. Is that ok? I'll remove it when it starts to rot.

You're set then. Good luck.

It looks really nice, lots of hiding places! Sounds like great prices for everything you go as well.

I've never kept ghost shrimp and neos together so I can't give you any advice there.

Have you kept duckweed before? A lot of folks try very hard to avoid it because it can take over a tank in a short amount of time. With any floating plants just make sure adequate light is getting thru for your rooted plants.

Looking forward to more updates!

I have been observing my shrimp for a few days now, and to be honest, I like my ghost shrimp a lot more than my cherry shrimp. My cherry shrimp don't respond to anything but my ghost shrimp are constantly scavenging and nibbling on stuff and picking fights with each other. Of course, maybe putting such passive RCS with aggressive ghost shrimp is why they seem to hide so much.
I have lost 3 shrimp these few days, all RCS. The ghost shrimp are thriving. Especially since I started feeding them soaked Betta food. I was wondering why they were't eating the veggies I put in there, and I figured maybe they like meat. So I soaked the Betta pellets that normally float so they'd sink, then put them in the tank with a dropper. The ghost shrimp immediately SWARMED the food. Chasing it around and carrying around 5 pieces at once while trying to nom at the same time. Within seconds the decent-sized pinch of food I put in there was GONE. So now all my ghost shrimp have red insides and are getting fat.
One the other hand, The RCS don't respond and I am stuck. I don't know what to feed them, I don't know why they are dieing. My ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are all good. I don't use anything with copper in it. Is there anything I can do? Or are they just not going to thrive in a tank with ghost shrimp?
Anywho, here's a pic of a ghost shrimp nomming.

Sent from a rebellious phone that refuses to stay on

Attachments

• 1427286493807.jpg
    1427286493807.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 67
Back
Top Bottom