Shrimp information

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

orangepunkins

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,
Currently I have a 10 gal fish tank with plants and 1 otto. I would like to make it a shrimp tank. In the past I have tried ghost shrimp and they died. I was told that the water temperature was to high. I think I need lots of information on how to establish a good colony of shrimp. I have had the tank up for well-over a year. It has a canister filter, heater and LED light on it. Somehow I must be doing doing something right because I have 0 algae. Please advise me of what I can do to keep shrimp.

Ghost shrimp suck. They don't eat algae and eat other tank inhabitants.
Some tiger shrimp or red cherries will do fine. Just buy a handful and throw them in there (obviously acclimate them). Change 20% water every week or two and don't overfeed them. In fact you can go three days between feeding, they'll eat all the random stuff in your tank and they'll all gather round to devour whatever it is you feed em.

You can find a lot of information on the care of shrimp at Planet Inverts.
As mentioned above, acclimation as well as stability are important factors to their success. If you are interested in getting a colony going, shrimp only (snails are okay) would be best IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have a red cherry shrimp tank, and I started with two, and there are now too many to count: they reproduce quickly. I keep them at around 78 degrees and they seem happy.

I do a 50% water change every week or two, but I could probably get away with less, especially since it is hard not to syphon out the babies during a water change!

I actually stopped feeding almost entirely - I give them a small piece of a sinking wafer every few weeks, but they mostly seem to live off the algae and other organic matter in the tank. I found when was feeding them more often, I was getting lot of bugs. I also put some cuttlebone in the tank to add some calcium.

Yes, they feed on all kinds detritus, scroll and filamentous algae decayed.
I have given them Peatkien Wood, which they love. A sheet Catappa.
Several stones Seelime. Because of the carapace.
I have Sakura and Red White Bee shrimp.
Spirulina flakes too

Back
Top Bottom