Shrimp issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xigtc

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've had my tank about 6weeks. It's a cycled 5 gal with various plants & Eco complete I saw in other shrimp tanks here. The parameters are good according to the API master kit, but I started with 10 RCS and am down to 6 in a week.

Can't figure it out...

Attachments

• image-1621826213.jpg
    image-1621826213.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 118
  • image-1474723701.jpg
    image-1474723701.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 112
Are you for sure the 4 died or could they be hiding? Shrimp are excellent hiders.

Do you have a heater on the tank, or does the temperature fluctuate? Does the pH fluctuate at all? With RCS, stability is key. Just keep stable parameters and you should be fine.

Are you for sure the 4 died or could they be hiding? Shrimp are excellent hiders.

Do you have a heater on the tank, or does the temperature fluctuate? Does the pH fluctuate at all? With RCS, stability is key. Just keep stable parameters and you should be fine.

Yes I'm quite sure. They had turned white and where laying on the bottom. The temperature is a consistent 76° and the pH is staying in the same area. I'll keep up on testing and changing water.

Yes I'm quite sure. They had turned white and where laying on the bottom. The temperature is a consistent 76° and the pH is staying in the same area. I'll keep up on testing and changing water.

Did you remove them or left them behind? There's a chance they molted and what you saw was the shells they left behind. As mentioned, RCS are great at hiding, especially after Molting.

Your temps are ok and the other RCS in the Pics look Ok to me. Either way, as you said, keep testing, PWC and monitoring. Losing some shrimp unfortunately does happen. Still, don't be surprised if in a few days you see them pop up out of the blue.

I removed them using a net and when I pulled them out it was a whole shrimp. The one that molted left a creamy shell behind. These unfortunately weren't. Will do, thanks for the help!

Shrimp are best suited for established and stable aquariums. In newer tanks shrimp die offs are common. Keep testing the water but don't preform a PWC unless you get ammonia. You want that tank to stay as stable as possible. I only change 10% every 2 weeks and have thriving shrimp colonies.

Thanks for all of the replies. I've since moved the shrimp to my 20 gal tank that's been up and going 4 months. Reason being is my 5 gal was hit while moving stuff and cracked. The 20 gal Is lightly planted at the moment and has 4 neon tetras & a Clown Pleco.. At this time my tank has a Marineland Penguin 100 off an old tank. I'm afraid ill easy overwhelm its abilities once i begin to add to the stock.So I think I maybe looking into a canister setup.

Attachments

• image-3603404215.jpg
    image-3603404215.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 97
Back
Top Bottom