Shrimp? Need a little help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GuppiesNSnails

Aquarium Advice Regular
Im thinking about getting some shrimp. Separate tank though. What is the minumum size? Also, is there a type of FW shrimp that dont need a heater?

Thanks for advice! :thanks:

What type of shrimp are you thinking about getting? I have a 5g set up for RCS and I'm currently working on a couple other smaller low tech desktop tanks for shrimp.

As far as a heater a lot depends on the room temperature. My last betta lived for almost 5 years in an unheated tank. The incandescent bulb lighting the tank plus room temp kept the water a nice temp for him.

There are other fish that tolerate lower water temperatures. Do you have an actual tank size in mind or just throwing around ideas?

Just tossin' it around in my head. Something not to expensive, like a small tank no heat because i cant afford all those things :/

Last edited:
Neocardinas are a very resilient group. Those are all your Red Cherries, Blue Pearls... Lots of choices. They like their water in the 70's. A little foam filter will do just fine; they have a light bio load. Most people recommend 10gal for them, but I've seen them thrive in much smaller. Some experienced folk have created unfiltered, unheated vases with neos. I'm attempting this in a 1gal vase, so we'll see how it goes.

Neocardinas are a very resilient group. Those are all your Red Cherries, Blue Pearls... Lots of choices. They like their water in the 70's. A little foam filter will do just fine; they have a light bio load. Most people recommend 10gal for them, but I've seen them thrive in much smaller. Some experienced folk have created unfiltered, unheated vases with neos. I'm attempting this in a 1gal vase, so we'll see how it goes.
I needones that are tolerant to heat fluxes, and are easy to come by.

Try RCS then. They are the best to try out. Why major temp fluxes ?

Mine are in a 10g. It is unheated, but we do have house heat, so the tank is staying stable 72° through the winter. Smaller tanks change temperature faster, that is one reason larger tanks are often recommended.

I also have a 5.5g shrimp tank set up, also unheated. The blue tiger shrimp I had in there did just fine as well.

The shrimp should have plenty of life plants, and as stable a tank as you can give them.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421264703.410765.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421264733.279267.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Incase of powerouts, mebbe. Or, w get pretty cold winters and its cold *instide.

*Sometimes.

It gets pretty cold upstairs.
I jjust cant heat all my things because i still live with my parents. The rule is i can have as many as i want but i cant have them all heat :x

And also, every snail i putin my main tank died. And can they take down guppies? (fry/teens/adults) There is omold in the tank. I dont want to kill anymore inverts :(

It gets pretty cold upstairs.
I jjust cant heat all my things because i still live with my parents. The rule is i can have as many as i want but i cant have them all heat :x

I got this from a shrimp breeder:

Above 89, expect dying shrimp within hours.
Between 83F-88F is too warm for their likings, but will survive.
Between 68F-82F the shrimps do best, breed well.
Between 59F-68F shrimps do fine but breeding stops as temp. drops. Is fine for nightly temperatures.
Between 50F-59F shrimps survive but don't breed
Between 40F-50F shrimps survive but life gets tricky
Below 40F for a short period this is survivable, expect losses up to 90% if temp is below 40F for weeks.

And also, every snail i putin my main tank died. And can they take down guppies? (fry/teens/adults) There is omold in the tank. I dont want to kill anymore inverts :(

What size is the tank? What stock? What type of snails? Do you mean mold or algae?

Cherry Shrimp are safe for fry.

Test your water ASAP.
Anything besides Guppies in your main tank ?

Pics ?

If you want to start with cheaper Shrimp you can try Ghost Shrimp. But they don't usually have babies survive as they have a larval stage that typically needs brackish water.

So adult GS could be your test Shrimp, just don't expect babies.
Remove ANY ghost shrimp before adding RCS. RCS ( Red Cherry Shrimp) can get bullied or killed by predatory Ghost Shrimp. And some GS will take out fish fry if you wanted to try them in the guppy tank.

So a separate RCS tank may work depending on temps. Fill up an empty tank or monitor a similar sized tank to see what the low temps are.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421361457.528830.jpg

What size is the tank? What stock? What type of snails? Do you mean mold or algae?
Well, I mean mold, its brown stuff. Its a 10g, with 8 guppy fry and 2 female gupps.

They were mystery snails (Pomacae diffusa/brigesii) three made it, but they are dying too. Its heart-wrenching to see the cuties die. i cant stand it. :(

Cherry Shrimp are safe for fry.

Test your water ASAP.
Anything besides Guppies in your main tank ?

Pics ?

If you want to start with cheaper Shrimp you can try Ghost Shrimp. But they don't usually have babies survive as they have a larval stage that typically needs brackish water.

So adult GS could be your test Shrimp, just don't expect babies.
Remove ANY ghost shrimp before adding RCS. RCS ( Red Cherry Shrimp) can get bullied or killed by predatory Ghost Shrimp. And some GS will take out fish fry if you wanted to try them in the guppy tank.

So a separate RCS tank may work depending on temps. Fill up an empty tank or monitor a similar sized tank to see what the low temps are.

View attachment 261183

Kinda wanted to breed them. Currently, im on a mission to breed things :ROFLMAO:

And, i dont want to kill and bebbe gupps.

I only have one tank, i might get another soon. (like, a month or two later)

Well, I mean mold, its brown stuff. Its a 10g, with 8 guppy fry and 2 female gupps.

They were mystery snails (Pomacae diffusa/brigesii) three made it, but they are dying too. Its heart-wrenching to see the cuties die. i cant stand it. :(

If it's a new tank, it could be brown algae ( which is actually diatoms ). These will disappear on their own once the silicates are absorbed out of the tank.

http://applesnailcare.com/quick-facts/the-quick-facts/

Have you used any medications in this tank?? Some medications will wipe out snails.

I have about 20 RCS in a 10 gallon, but I heard you could keep up to 30 in a 5 gallon or 60 in a 10. They're low maintenance and a beautiful color.

Woop, found the snail killer. Copper!!! Of all things....My pipes are made of COPPER. So thats why they all died. :huh: BTW, there was some medicine in there but if there is now its like 0.23 percent. How do i get copper out of the water? :confused:

I got this from a shrimp breeder:

Above 89, expect dying shrimp within hours.
Between 83F-88F is too warm for their likings, but will survive.
Between 68F-82F the shrimps do best, breed well.
Between 59F-68F shrimps do fine but breeding stops as temp. drops. Is fine for nightly temperatures.
Between 50F-59F shrimps survive but don't breed
Between 40F-50F shrimps survive but life gets tricky
Below 40F for a short period this is survivable, expect losses up to 90% if temp is below 40F for weeks.
Yea, the temp at nightis like 50-60, but day is like about 70-74. (With heating on.) is like, 28 degrees outside. (cold!!!) Its snowin'

Back
Top Bottom