shrimp-safe corys?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They are relatively safe. The only fish that is 100% shrimp safe are oto cats. I wouldn't worry about it too much since the neocardinias breed sooo fast.

the only true safe cories are pygmy cories other cories will eat the babies if they see it in front of them

I think the truth of the issue is that Oto cats are the only fish that seem to be generally accepted as 100% shrimp safe.

Any given fish MAY be ok, and may not. It often depends on the circumstances.. hiding spots, plants, feeding, etc. Pygmaeus feeds on the bottom, so if it finds a newborn shrimp it probably would eat one. Most fish will. But if you have healthy breeding population of shrimp, minor predation won't harm the overall numbers very much.

If you find you have a fish with a real taste for crustaceans you might have to find it another home though. Observation helps.. a bit of luck never hurts. The smaller the tank you have, the less hiding spaces, so it can make it a bit easier for a fish to find more baby shrimps. Might want to make sure the shrimp are well established with plenty of breeding females having successful broods before adding any fish at all, that way, if some babies do get eaten, won't have much impact.

I think the truth of the issue is that Oto cats are the only fish that seem to be generally accepted as 100% shrimp safe.

Any given fish MAY be ok, and may not. It often depends on the circumstances.. hiding spots, plants, feeding, etc. Pygmaeus feeds on the bottom, so if it finds a newborn shrimp it probably would eat one. Most fish will. But if you have healthy breeding population of shrimp, minor predation won't harm the overall numbers very much.

If you find you have a fish with a real taste for crustaceans you might have to find it another home though. Observation helps.. a bit of luck never hurts. The smaller the tank you have, the less hiding spaces, so it can make it a bit easier for a fish to find more baby shrimps. Might want to make sure the shrimp are well established with plenty of breeding females having successful broods before adding any fish at all, that way, if some babies do get eaten, won't have much impact.

Thanks for the detailed reply!

We have 3 berried shrimp so I expect our colony to triple in size soon.

Sea creatures are opportunity eaters... If it can fit in their mouth, they're gonna eat it. If you don't have adequate hiding spots and actually want your colony to grow, I wouldn't add any. Seeing as how Cory's are meant to be in schools of 5 or more (assuming you would follow that), an entire batch of fry could be gone within a day.

Back
Top Bottom