Shrimp safe medicine. Please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kashif314

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well for a few days I was happy that I am not having any more shrimp deaths but today woke up to find three dead shrimps. Two red pandas and one black king kong. My Water Parameters are :

Gh 5
Kh 0-1
PH 6.5
Tds 145
Temperature 72-74
Amonia Nill
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0
Water: Distilled water reminilized with Sl Aqua blue wizard

I looked closely and no signs of any disease on shrimps. They keep dying. Its a huge loss to wallet and shrimp lives. No one has a clue since water parameters are fine. So now I think maybe some bacterial or viral infection in tank but all medicine like Paraguard etc are not shrimp safe as they say to remove invertebrates prior to using medicine. Can you guys please suggest me some medicine to treat shrimp disease?

Thanks.

First thing that needs to be done is identify the cause before any treatment can be recommended. I’m a novice shrimp keeper (neos only) but I found a link that describes various ailments and treatments of such. It is a bit dated but the information should still be relevant. SKFAQUATICS

First thing that needs to be done is identify the cause before any treatment can be recommended. I’m a novice shrimp keeper (neos only) but I found a link that describes various ailments and treatments of such. It is a bit dated but the information should still be relevant. SKFAQUATICS
Thanks. Link is not opening for me. Can you please check if its working fine for you?

Thanks a lot. Very helpful link. I want to know one thing. So in case of bacterial infection shrimps do show some physical signs right?

I believe most often seen is a cloudiness or whitening of parts of or the entire body.
Yes, that's also what the article says but my Shrimps have no signs of any disease mentioned in the article. Those who died and those who survived looks normal.

When you do water changes do you do small, medium or large ones?

They are sensitive to changes.

They are considered intermediate to difficult to care for... Recommended for 10G or larger size tank / ~38L, to help mediate slight water parameter changes.

Are you using any mineral additive, Bacter AE type things? Do you scrub the tank clean at all?

What foods are you using?

When you do water changes do you do small, medium or large ones?

They are sensitive to changes.

They are considered intermediate to difficult to care for... Recommended for 10G or larger size tank / ~38L, to help mediate slight water parameter changes.

Are you using any mineral additive, Bacter AE type things? Do you scrub the tank clean at all?

What foods are you using?
Yeah actually I had planaria infestation and after medication it was instructed to do a 40 percent water change. I did that. I carefully made new water to same parameters like tds, Gh, pH, kh. But I guess the chage was so big. After that I rooted out pearlgrass which was a bad move as those rooted areas were Amonia pockets. However I didn't detect any Amonia in test.

I do use Bacter AE once a week. Also use other foods but feed less.

Problem is tank is 5 gallon and hence I am having troubles. 500 ml water is evaporated every two days. I need to top up with distilled water as chemicals don't evaporate with water so I add pure distilled water.

Also problems with temperature. I live in very hot climate so we have air conditioning always. Tank has no lid and I have to use a heater because otherwise temperature would drop to 60.

However now no deaths again. I hope now it stays good.

Good. These little shrimp are delicate. Removing the additional filtration provided by the aquarium plants also can cause a mini-cycle, maybe not detected.

And the little shaking up muck from the substrate maybe just all a bad combination at one time.

Good. These little shrimp are delicate. Removing the additional filtration provided by the aquarium plants also can cause a mini-cycle, maybe not detected.

And the little shaking up muck from the substrate maybe just all a bad combination at one time.
You nailed it. Exactly same words the shrimp breeder said. He exactly said two reasons. One possibility of a mini cycle because of big big modification. That pearl grass was covering the whole back and was long and deep.

Second reason he said thar while removing the substrate was disturbed resulting in stress and toxicity for shrimps because it was stired in water.

Now I will do as keepers of these shrimps do. They very rarely touch water and change like only 15 percent once a month. Now I ll be more careful. I need to re start from scratch. I ordered some red wine pandas, blue bolts, Black Pintoos which are from Taiwan and not from Germany but they have a very beautiful cloud pattern on head. I also ordered four extreme blue bolts. He will send me mostly small size because young ones are relatively easy to adjust than adults. My Water Parameters are right now ideal for Bees. So I am hopeful this time.

Ma'am you are awesome. Knows a lot. You pointed out same causes which the breeder did. Wish to learn more and more from you.

Continuous learning for all of us. Thank you. Myself had plenty of bad situations too.

I have been changing my water about 10% I was thinking but it is a gallon on 12G tank, so less than 10% really. Once in appx. week and just started going a half gallon/2L if I'm feeding lots of frozen food or if using baby shrimp food. Just to keep water perfect.

Continuous learning for all of us. Thank you. Myself had plenty of bad situations too.

I have been changing my water about 10% I was thinking but it is a gallon on 12G tank, so less than 10% really. Once in appx. week and just started going a half gallon/2L if I'm feeding lots of frozen food or if using baby shrimp food. Just to keep water perfect.
Thanks. I use Bacter AE once a week and since its only five gallon so I use like less than quarter of included spoon. I noticed now shrimps are active and graze actively all around and swimming too. I love this product. I hope now everything stays good.

Actually I don't feed my Shrimps fish meal based foods. I am giving them low protein diets. And a protein based diet once like two weeks. Do you think I should give them frozen based foods too? I mainly feed dennerle range. After a lot of search and reading. I find them best and all natural ingredients and no fish meal.

Back
Top Bottom