Shrimp suddenly MIA?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NoviceShrimpy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there,

I just got my first tank.....Biorb 8L about 8 weeks ago, set up with artificial plants, did my best to cycle it (made some rookie mistakes there), added a pre-filter to make my filter shrimp safe and now have 10 blue velvet shrimp in it. The tank is not heated. Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates all 0; all other levels are in the "normal" range from what I've read about shrimp water parameters.

I've had the shrimp about a week, they've consistently been active until last night. Yesterday I added a very small amount of bacter ae and a small cleaned/boiled/cooled Catappa leaf for the first time.

Last night, my dog got sprayed by a skunk and it permeated the room where the shrimp tank is. I put out bowls of vinegar to help dissipate the smell but no other chemicals.

My shrimp have been totally MIA since last night. Could anything from yesterday or last night be negatively impacting the tank? Just retested the water tonight, no changes in parameters.

Any insight wound be appreciated - thank you!!

Welcome!

I can say I don't know, it for sure could have spooked them but dead shrimp leave little white bodies behind. You really should have a heater, they do prefer it and will thank you with many offspring!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you! If I get a heater.....how gradually should I raise the temp to keep from shocking them?

Well, depends on your current temperature! I recommend a glass thermometer, they are more accurate than the style you stick on the side! An adjustable heater is best, I honestly wouldn't raise but a degree or two a day if you are worried about shock. Thats slow enough for the most delicate of creatures!

Also, how often are you changing water? with this being a newly stocked tank I would do a tiny daily water change. Shrimp may be hardy, but they do like very clean water!

Thank you for your feedback! My last water change was three days ago, I was doing 10-20% every day or two until all of the levels started reading in the acceptable ranges. I will get a heater and gradually increase the temp.

As of this evening, I can see two tucked away hiding and one out crawling around. Can't find the other 7. We will see.......

Good luck.

Adding botanicals /leaves, will change the ph and sometimes water quality. It will be less so because you boiled the Catapa leaf.

Also regular ole blue Dawn dish soap helps with skunk spray stench!

Back
Top Bottom