Shrimp tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SushiRoll

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok I'm starting to want to do a small planted shrimp tank I was just wondering how small it could be (I was thinking maybe a 5g?) and how much it would cost. Also what type of shrimp to get and if I could put a female betta in there.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Ok I'm starting to want to do a small planted shrimp tank I was just wondering how small it could be (I was thinking maybe a 5g?) and how much it would cost. Also what type of shrimp to get and if I could put a female betta in there.

A 5g tank is fine, I've kept red cherry shrimp in a 2g tank before. As far as cost goes, it's as costly as you make it. My 2g shrimp tank came out to about $150 (stock list: Aquatop High Clarity Low Iron Glass Cube 2.11 Gallons (7.5" Cube), Azoo Palm Filer (w/Pre-filer Sponge), ADA 5mm Thermometer, Archaea LED Clip 17cm, Aquatop Nano Heater 15W, ADA Aquasoil - Amazonia (Normal Type), ADA Manten Stone)

In a 5g you can keep most shrimp, expect for the bigger variety like, Atya gabonensi (Viper/African Filter shrimp) or Atyopsis moluccensis (Bamboo shrimp). I would go with RCS. I wouldn't recommend keeping a betta with shrimp, they will become betta chow.

Ok well my mom said no to another tank (what I don't get is she said no to a 5g tank but she has said yes to a 55g ? oh well at least I get the 55g) but i have a 10g snail tank with a few guppy fry and 5 snails could I make that a shrimp tank with the current stock? I'm was thinking about putting a sponge filter in there and taking the HOB out.

You can add shrimp if you keep the water well. Ammonia less than .25, NitrIte 0, Nitrate less than 30

Problem with fry is usually you feed often and the water gets poor.

You can keep the HOB use a prefilter like these...

http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-A1387-EDGE-Pre-Filter-Sponge/dp/B002LL32RY

Yay for shrimp. :)

Negative for the female Betta and a shrimp tank if you want to breed the shrimp for sure, and probably bad news anyway. I haven't had luck with Bettas and Shrimp even adults. Seems fine and then one night you find there has been a massacre.

Last edited:
I feed the fry twice a day so I don't think the water would foul. Also how many shrimp should I put in there? I only have 2 live plants a temple plant and a banana plant what other low tech/light plants could I put in there? Thanks for the help so far!

Ok well my mom said no to another tank (what I don't get is she said no to a 5g tank but she has said yes to a 55g �� oh well at least I get the 55g) but i have a 10g snail tank with a few guppy fry and 5 snails could I make that a shrimp tank with the current stock? I'm was thinking about putting a sponge filter in there and taking the HOB out.

I believe so, I don't see guppies messing with your shrimp. Snails won't mess with your shrimp either.

Like Autumnsky said, you can keep the HOB, just add a pre-filter sponge. Not only do they keep your shrimplets from being sucked into the intake, but they are good place for good bacteria to grow on. You can also add the sponge for extra filtration or aeration if you want, but I think if you just add the pre-filter sponge, you'll be ok.

I feed the fry twice a day so I don't think the water would foul. Also how many shrimp should I put in there? I only have 2 live plants a temple plant and a banana plant what other low tech/light plants could I put in there? Thanks for the help so far!

I don't remember where, but I read that the rule is 10 shrimp per gallon. Not sure if this is a/the "accepted" rule in the hobby, but it's all I've found regarding shrimp stocking and since they have almost no bio-load, I tend to agree with it. As an example, when I had my 2g shrimp tank up, I stocked it with 6 RCS shrimp and it didn't seem overcrowded. I could have easily added more.

As far as plants go, I would move the banana plant to the 55g when you have it set up. I had one in a 50g and it got enormous! The lily pads on the surface had a diameter of 10"+ and the stem that spanned from the substrate to the lily pad on the surface stretched 32". If you want something like a banana plant (Nymphoides aquatica), but more suited for 10g tank, I would recommend Nymphaea stellata (Dwarf Lily), it resembles Nymphaea lotus (Tiger lotus), but a lot smaller. My personal favorite low light plant and my recommendation would be Cryptocoryne wendtti bronze.

Yeah I like the crypt bronze and for other plants the requirements are
1. They have to be easy
2. Can handle hard water (the ph is normally 7.2 and up)
3. They have to be low light/low tech
Also where should I get my shrimp?

You can find good shrimp here in classifieds or if you belong (if not join one) to a local aquarium club usually there are hobbyists/sellers there. Most veterans in the club love to help a newbie who cares about their stock and tank(s) to get a good start and will help a lot!

Try 6-12 to start. They will breed for you. Personally I would do a dozen so that you can get a real possibility of a few females.

Ok so I'm on Google trying to find a fish keeping club and NOTHING shows up. Do you know of any clubs I could try? Just post a few and I'll see if any are close to me.

Everything near me is SW!! Why!?!?! Even the lfs are mostly saltwater ? oh well. I guess then I can't be in a club.

I use an Azoo Mignon sponge filter with a Tetra Cube 3 gallon for my shrimp tank! The tank was costly (around ~$35) but I'm sure you can find one at a better price on amazon. I mainly picked that tank because it had the aesthetic I wanted. The filter is cheap at around $18 and works very well. It has a lot of good reviews and fits perfectly in my tetra tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok so I'm on Google trying to find a fish keeping club and NOTHING shows up. Do you know of any clubs I could try? Just post a few and I'll see if any are close to me.

At least tell us a general area you are in. I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area. There are a ton of clubs near me.

Cherry shrimp is definitely a good way to get in to the shrimp hobby and 10+ is you best chance at a start of a colony. :)

what would one feed shrimp? ive been thinking of using my 2.5 gallon to start a cherry shrimp farm for my larger tanks. i got a crapton of java moss to keep the nitrates down and can rig up and colonize a sponge filter in a week or so.

what would one feed shrimp? ive been thinking of using my 2.5 gallon to start a cherry shrimp farm for my larger tanks. i got a crapton of java moss to keep the nitrates down and can rig up and colonize a sponge filter in a week or so.

They naturally graze on the biofilm on moss, so providing an ample supply of moss will be helpful. Algae wafers are readily accepted as are thinly sliced zucchini.

Back
Top Bottom