Shrimp tank additives???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
Often I use leaves or DW.

But I haven't seen other a lot of other things talked about, anyone ever use things for their tanks, please add what you liked and didn't like about the items.

Bee pollen, Royal Jelly, Soybean husks, or barley straw or pellets, vitamin type tablets like calcium or spirulina or beta glucan, mineral rocks?

I have been thinking of Matcha and or tea bags, Organic for anything I guess.

So no one adds anything in their tanks??? It doesn't all have to be odd things, they can be more normal and commonly accepted for shrimp tanks.

I just got these Cholla wood to use. They need cleaning first, as they are authentic from the southwest desert.

60074-albums13090-picture70853.jpg

I read that they like plants and wood. I also bought some Hikari Crab Cuisine and Aquatic Arts Invert Food with calcium and spirulina.

Might need to look into that food you mentioned. Though I understand the health food stores offerings are good too.

Oh yes, I use Cuttlebone for the shrimp tanks. We have basically 0 kH so I need to use a calcium booster too.

Forgot that, I use Kents Marine Superbuffer dkH to boost the buffering effect in the water with a little magnesium in the form of Epsom salts and a tiniest pinch of Baking soda also for buffering capacity. LOL, I have been adding more than I was even first thinking!

Here is a pic of the label. IMG_7384.jpg
These snails and shrimp get a wide variety of foods offered. These pellets are one of the first to disappear. Other foods are blanched veggies, algae wafers, leftover gold fish pellets. So far the only thing they haven't eaten was a blanched carrot.

Mine get plain old city tap water conditioned with Prime and the few Flourish line ferts I add (including Excel). Outside of that the only thing I've added are plants, moss, and driftwood over a sand substrate. I'm feeding New Life Spectrum AlgaeMAX 12mm wafers and I'm sure they also get at the NLS Grow pellet bits my greedy rasboras miss. If ingredients are a concern New Life Spectrum foods would be worth a look (I've also heard positives about Repashy Shrimp Souffle if gels are your thing, going to try it eventually).

When adding blanched veggies are they store bought or homegrown? Been thinking about trying some but I'm concerned about residual pesticides:confused:

In regards to veggies and fruits stuff, I grow my own and use some organic, though I haven't fed them very much. I love to know where it is grown and how.

Recently made baby lettuce ice cubes, which by freezing softens the veggies for eating and easy to drop one in whenever I remember. Add lettuce to the ice cube tray, making sure to get a few of each kind of leaves in there for the amount you want to feed per cube, pushing them down for more leaves for a larger tank, add spring water, or treated fresh water, option to leave in tray or empty into a bag, push out the extra air. For that matter I guess you could add a whole salad in the ice cube!

As a side note about lettuce, I read that one should limit spinach because of the oxalic acid. Personally do not know but it sounds plausible. So I just put one in each cube.

Back
Top Bottom