Shrimp tank water chemistry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lev

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, my 20L planted shrimp tank which is fully cycled but fairly recently occupied my shrimp (4 days!) seems to be going well so far. But I have a question about the GH and KH.

I only just started measuring these (oops) and I note that my flora base pro substrate is keeping the pH nicely at 6.5 but when I tested the KH yesterday it was <1DH. After a water change (50% as an experiment) today the pH remains 6.5 and the KH is now 3DH which still seems quite low (ie are my shrimpies getting pickled at night time??)

Tank:
pH 6.5
GH 5DH.
KH 3DH
Nh3 0
No2 0
No3 5ppm

Tap water:
Ph 7
GH 9DH
KH 4DH
Nh3 0
No2 0
No3 0

The substrate is flora base pro.

Should I be adding some sort of buffer to prevent pH spikes at night when plants respiring and if so what?

Here's a picture of one of the inmates because reasons. :-D

1485096910827.jpg

By pH spikes I mean pH dropping off overnight sorry for misleading lingo + my phone won't let me edit post

Are you saying it's swinging .5? If so I wouldn't be concerned at all

Well I suppose what I need to do is see what the pH actually does at night by measuring it at night

The 0.5 difference is between the tap water and water in tank (which I presumed is due to substrate which claims to hold ph around 6-6.5) my query was whether the low KH means the pH would drop off <6 at night. I guess there's only 1 way to find out!

If you take ph in early morning before lights are on that would give ya an idea.

Back
Top Bottom