Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Invertebrates
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-21-2018, 09:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Shrimps without Air Pump or Filter?

I am having a skittles tank. Having both Neocaridinas and Cardinas. Now I want to remove Neocaridinas. I will give to store for free but I need to put them somewhere for the time being. I bought a small plastic tank from LFS. Can I keep neocaridinas in it if it doesn't have any filter or air pump. I mean without any oxygen. Neocaridinas are like maybe only 15. Can I just put some Moss in it and transfer neocaridinas to them? Will add every day whenever I can catch them. Please advise is it OK to keep shrimps without any oxygen formation. Tank won't have any lid and temperature will be good as they require.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20180322-WA0022.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	307934

Above is the plastic tank.

Old 03-21-2018, 10:00 PM   #2
ZxC
Aquarium Advice Addict

It "should" be fine, but some sort of water movement would be better to promote proper gas exchange.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here
ZxC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZxC View Post
It "should" be fine, but some sort of water movement would be better to promote proper gas exchange.
Water will be still. Because I may keep shrimps in it for maximum two weeks. Maybe adding a glass of fresh water daily will help?
Old 03-21-2018, 10:06 PM   #4
ZxC
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashif314 View Post
Water will be still. Because I may keep shrimps in it for maximum two weeks. Maybe adding a glass of fresh water will help?
It's more so for CO2 out and O2 in to the water, because shrimp aren't amssive producers of CO2 I think it "should" be okay, but again, a small source of movement would be preferred. I would think after 2 weeks there would be a pretty thick biofilm on the surface. even an airline, or a small fan over the water surface.

Old 03-22-2018, 02:03 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Is it possible to put the neos in a smaller breeder container that floats in the main tank?
Old 03-22-2018, 11:38 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I keep orange Borneo and red cherry shrimp in a tank with no water movement. There’s also fish and snails including ottos. No oxygen issues noted. Granted I have live plants.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:44 AM   #7
ZxC
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliban07 View Post
I keep orange Borneo and red cherry shrimp in a tank with no water movement. There’s also fish and snails including ottos. No oxygen issues noted. Granted I have live plants.
What size tank tho? More water = more room for O2 storage and more surface area for improved gas exchange.

Old 03-22-2018, 12:10 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

It’s 85 litres. The surface is virtually covered in duckweed and the remnants of a thin biofilm that the ottos have all but polished off.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:27 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks a lot guys for the suggestions. I think I can remove one glass of water daily and will add one glass of new fresh water so they won't have oxygen problems. I noticed some babies in tank too. Will need to wait for them to grow. Not very easy task as I was expecting.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:31 PM   #10
ZxC
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Thanks a lot guys for the suggestions. I think I can remove one glass of water daily and will add one glass of new fresh water so they won't have oxygen problems. I noticed some babies in tank too. Will need to wait for them to grow. Not very easy task as I was expecting.
it took me a month to rid my 10 gallon of blue velvet's. nothing in the tank but 2" of fluval stratum. I think you have a big task ahead of yourself

Old 03-22-2018, 05:02 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I think you have a big task ahead of yourself

Yes I also thought so specially now after I seen babies.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:55 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
it took me a month to rid my 10 gallon of blue velvet's.
I have a question that if two blue velvet mate will there babies be blue? I have fantasy blue which I want to keep with Caridinas because I like there intense blue. So just making sure if the frys will be blue or not.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:02 PM   #13
ZxC
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I have a question that if two blue velvet mate will there babies be blue? I have fantasy blue which I want to keep with Caridinas because I like there intense blue. So just making sure if the frys will be blue or not.
Blue neo's are the most uselessly named shrimp out there... the naming is very inaccurate among blue verities. So, if 2 true blue velvets (from the same gene line) bred, yes the shrimplets would be blue.

My blue velvets were a lighter blue, some females dark blue, but mostly light blue, the shrimplets started off red/orange and then transitions to blue after a week or so. So yes, the babies will be blue. Unless they mated with a non-blue velvet gene line. There was the odd blue rhili mixed, maybe 1/100 of the offspring would have some blue rhili mixed in.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:55 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

The keeping moss with the shrimp and having light for the plant, even a light bulb or daylight for the moss to make 02. I have previously kept shrimp that way for years.

Feed very sparingly. As to not poison the tank with ammonia.

Once had found a little shrimp which grew up for a couple months in a plastic cup of water and gravel which had been in the end of a scoop of stuff I removed from the tank, and it got lost behind something else.

I had no idea there was a shrimp until the water had almost dried up to the substrate and I found the cup and saw something move! It had to of been a little baby and grew up to almost grown up size, good thing there was muck in the water for the little guy to survive. Not ideal of course.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 03:12 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Blue neo's are the most uselessly named shrimp out there... the naming is very inaccurate among blue verities. So, if 2 true blue velvets (from the same gene line) bred, yes the shrimplets would be blue.

My blue velvets were a lighter blue, some females dark blue, but mostly light blue, the shrimplets started off red/orange and then transitions to blue after a week or so. So yes, the babies will be blue. Unless they mated with a non-blue velvet gene line. There was the odd blue rhili mixed, maybe 1/100 of the offspring would have some blue rhili mixed in.
Thanks a lot ZXC for the detailed reply. I will keep the blue ones in tank. Will see how it goes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
The keeping moss with the shrimp and having light for the plant, even a light bulb or daylight for the moss to make 02. I have previously kept shrimp that way for years.

Feed very sparingly. As to not poison the tank with ammonia.

Once had found a little shrimp which grew up for a couple months in a plastic cup of water and gravel which had been in the end of a scoop of stuff I removed from the tank, and it got lost behind something else.

I had no idea there was a shrimp until the water had almost dried up to the substrate and I found the cup and saw something move! It had to of been a little baby and grew up to almost grown up size, good thing there was muck in the water for the little guy to survive. Not ideal of course.
Thanks a lot Ma'am. That's very interesting story. Glad that little guy was saved. I am learning every day Something new

Tags
air, air pump, filter, pump, rim, shrimp, shrimps

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com