Snail ID, MTS??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zimmanski

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I keep finding different snails in my 20 long grow out tank. The first one I found like a month ago looked like a baby pond/pest snail so I quickly removed it and kept it in a glass trying to get it big enough to ID, no dice, he escaped. Now this one I found a couple minutes ago so I took a picture of it, this one looks completely different than the last and I'm thinking maybe MTS but really I have no clue cause I've always disliked snails. What do you guys think on the ID?

Attachments

• image-3278732210.jpg
    image-3278732210.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 91
  • image-4053698343.jpg
    image-4053698343.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 76
  • image-4079358107.jpg
    image-4079358107.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 85
Malaysian Trumpet Snail FTW

Ugh! Thanks, I seriously don't know where they keep coming from. I hear they can come in algae/bottom feeder wafers some times and plants, but I've only added one plant that wasn't in a tube/bag from chain stores. And that was a couple months ago, must have been that. I've heard the lettuce and jar trick to get rid of them but like i said this is only the second I've seen so if there's any more they've got to be extremely tiny, would it still work or should I pick up an assassin snail? Would the assassin snail then take over my tank?

Ugh! Thanks, I seriously don't know where they keep coming from. I hear they can come in algae/bottom feeder wafers some times and plants, but I've only added one plant that wasn't in a tube/bag from chain stores. And that was a couple months ago, must have been that. I've heard the lettuce and jar trick to get rid of them but like i said this is only the second I've seen so if there's any more they've got to be extremely tiny, would it still work or should I pick up an assassin snail? Would the assassin snail then take over my tank?

No, the assassin snail reproduce in a much lower rate, at least in my experience. I had a big infestation of pond snails in my 100G, by the hundreds. I added 7 assassin snails, took them like 3 months to take control and eliminate ALL the pond snails. During these last three months I have been selling assassin snails, like 25 in total, and maybe the tank has still another 20... So in summary from 7 to like 40 to 50 in three months... Which are easy to pick out if you don't want them in your tank later on.

STOP!!! Mts snails are a very good species of snail 2 have in ur tank as they actually live under the substrate and help keep it clean. They are also rarely seen because of this. I have mts in 2 of my tanks and want 2 add them 2 the third but fear my oscar may eat them... i also have ramshorns that help keep my glass clean. I understand not wanting pond/ ramshorn/ pest snails, but give the good guys a shot before you sentence them 2 death.

STOP!!! Mts snails are a very good species of snail 2 have in ur tank as they actually live under the substrate and help keep it clean. They are also rarely seen because of this. I have mts in 2 of my tanks and want 2 add them 2 the third but fear my oscar may eat them... i also have ramshorns that help keep my glass clean. I understand not wanting pond/ ramshorn/ pest snails, but give the good guys a shot before you sentence them 2 death.

I moved the one I found back into my smaller tank, just because it didn't creep me out as much as most snails do. Thank you for the info, I will give these a shot, but if they start taking over my tank it will be WWIII on them.

They are slow breeders as they actually give birth 2 live young.. which also means no eggs yucking up your tank.

They are slow breeders as they actually give birth 2 live young.. which also means no eggs yucking up your tank.

Really?? That was the whole reason I never had a snail to begin with, I thought about nerite snails before but didn't want the eggs. At least that puts my mind at ease!

Love the guys they won't over run as long as you don't over feed and will only produce if there is plenty of food to produce, though A sexual they are quite the awesome creatures, I have my very large adults I keep and sell the adolescents. I had the chance to see one born the other night and it was a cool sight.

IMG_20130128_082436.jpg

Back
Top Bottom