Snail ID please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ericbrookey

Aquarium Advice Regular
Trying to figure out what type of snail this is so I can decide whether to keep them or eradicate in my 20g planted.

Anybody?

uploadfromtaptalk1444333572397.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Not sure about the first picture, it looks the shape of a common pond snail but it has some nice markings which I haven't seen on a pond snail, so I might be wrong.
The second picture is a Malaysian Trumpet Snail. These are good snails. They bury themselves during the day which slowly turns over your substrate and they each dead leaves and not living leaves (unlike pond snails). They are livebearers so can get out of hand if the tank is over fed, which does have the benefit of indicating over feeding. I have loads of them, they are an essential part of my planted tank.
Ps. Just did some digging on pond snails and your top picture could be an unusually marked pond snail. If it is then I'd get it out, but not before someone else has confirmed it.

Sent from my iPad in West Yorkshire, U.K.

I'm leaning towards a pond snail as well for pic 1.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Not sure about the first picture, it looks the shape of a common pond snail but it has some nice markings which I haven't seen on a pond snail, so I might be wrong.
The second picture is a Malaysian Trumpet Snail. These are good snails. They bury themselves during the day which slowly turns over your substrate and they each dead leaves and not living leaves (unlike pond snails). They are livebearers so can get out of hand if the tank is over fed, which does have the benefit of indicating over feeding. I have loads of them, they are an essential part of my planted tank.
Ps. Just did some digging on pond snails and your top picture could be an unusually marked pond snail. If it is then I'd get it out, but not before someone else has confirmed it.

Sent from my iPad in West Yorkshire, U.K.
Thanks. I thought so on the MTS and there is only one so far so he is back in. The others are more prolific though. I pulled out 7 or 8 today and they just appeared out of nowhere along with 2-3 ramshorns so they all came out. Will keep an eye out for more.

Thanks again for the knowledge!

Pic one is a bladder/pond snail

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

Pic one is a bladder/pond snail

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing
Thank you. I took as many of them out as I could find, about 10, and returned them to the LFS they came from. Call me a softie but I just couldn't bring myself to squish em. [emoji13]

One MTS was put back in and I haven't seen any more of the others so hopefully I got em all but I'm not placing any bets. I did replace my driftwood which may have had a few stragglers.

Don't be surprised if you find more in a bit. They put eggs down everywhere

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

1, physa or physella species. Tadpole snail. Egg layer. The most common aquarium snail. Easy to deal with, great puffer fish food!
2, Malaysian trumpet snail, live bearing snail. These are a pain to get rid of, mainly live and breed in the substrate. For each one you see maybe you have 10-20 that you don't!

I'm always amused at the different common names for living things. I've never heard them called tadpole snails. Where I live it's pond snail and in other areas bladder snail.

I'm always amused at the different common names for living things. I've never heard them called tadpole snails. Where I live it's pond snail and in other areas bladder snail.

That's exactly why I try and learn the Latin names! Only one scientific name per species!
Bumble bee goby is the one that caused me the most effort/grief.
Common plec is one that I'm still confounded by, that's literally hundreds of fish! Each river has a common species!

Still, life goes on. . .

I really wish that fish shops had the scientific names on all the fish. Occasionally some do here but not often. It would make life easier when you impulse buy and need to look the fish up later. Lol

Ahh yes, the old impulse buy conundrum!
Study saves the day! If I can't identify it, I ask if there is no actual name. If they don't know, I don't buy. I mean they should know what they are selling!
In my earlier days as a fish keeper, I just got the fish. . . Needless to say I gave up on that method quite quickly! (Too many stock issues, mainly size related, that's how I come to "need" a BIG tank!

I guess they don't feel the need to label common stock, platy, some tetra sp. guppy etc. but it is a bit lax for the less common fishes, which brings me to another popular mislabelled fish, the hillstream, loach. Trying to ID my batch was an educational minefield!

Collection points for wild caught would be great. My usual impulse buys are mail order. I purchased jet black corys from Aquabid. Having a bad time identifying exactly what they are. They are tank raised but who knows where the first wild generation came from. Would be nice to know

Lets please stay on topic to help the OP as much as we can. :)
For what its worth, the bladder snail won't likely hurt anything, and there isn't really a reason to remove them other than aesthetics. Most species do not hurt plants at all, and if they reproduce out of control, it is a very good sign that you are overfeeding. I have never bothered removing snails from tanks. I find them adorable to watch, and fun tank additions.
Also, bladder and pond snails are not actually the same thing. They are closely related, and for all practical purposes pretty much act the same way in the tank though so most people do not bother to get an exact species identification. Here is one photo I found, but there are others. there are also a lot more species and subspecies that can end up in your tank than just the 2 listed. 9e930a0b.jpg Photo by prissmonster | Photobucket

Last edited:
Lets please stay on topic to help the OP as much as we can. :)
For what its worth, the bladder snail won't likely hurt anything, and there isn't really a reason to remove them other than aesthetics. Most species do not hurt plants at all, and if they reproduce out of control, it is a very good sign that you are overfeeding. I have never bothered removing snails from tanks. I find them adorable to watch, and fun tank additions.
Also, bladder and pond snails are not actually the same thing. They are closely related, and for all practical purposes pretty much act the same way in the tank though so most people do not bother to get an exact species identification. Here is one photo I found, but there are others. there are also a lot more species and subspecies that can end up in your tank than just the 2 listed. 9e930a0b.jpg Photo by prissmonster | Photobucket
Thank you angel. So what I'm hearing is these are bladder snails not necessarily pond snails and they won't eat my plants? I did notice the brown algae on the glass was disappearing rapidly the week I was out of town, as well as what was on my swords so maybe they were chomping on that and having a few isn't a bad thing?

Thank you angel. So what I'm hearing is these are bladder snails not necessarily pond snails and they won't eat my plants? I did notice the brown algae on the glass was disappearing rapidly the week I was out of town, as well as what was on my swords so maybe they were chomping on that and having a few isn't a bad thing?

Yep. They will often scrape algae off your glass. They are not dedicated algae eaters, but they will definitely eat some of it for you!
They generally will eat fallen food too. So, large booms in population typically mean you are over feeding. Also, you can always just do some manual removal if you see too many. That will curb their population a fair bit.
Eradicating them is a pretty tall order. They persevere like cockroaches. I have found some living in a tank that had a little water, but wasn't set up for a year...

Ok good and bad news. I don't mind removing them as needed just didn't want my larger mystery snail to have too much competition for food. He isn't much of an algae eater so that's ok.

Appreciate the sage advice. :)

Back
Top Bottom