Snail quantity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

annalee985

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 50 gallon bow tank; what is the recommended quantity of mystery snails I should keep in there? I am about to get another tank I am thinking about a 20 gallon; what are your thoughts on gravel versus sand substrate? Thanks!

I have had gravel, glass jelly beans and sand. I prefer the sand but it’s a bit tricky to keep it clean and from going anaerobic. Plants with roots and MTS help it keep funk free. I keep about a dozen snails in my 29g. I have a full hood. When they lay it’s usually on the hood. When the eggs hatch I leave the babies in this tank until they are pea sized and then I move them to a separate tank where they are heavily fed to get them large enough to rehome.

I have had gravel, glass jelly beans and sand. I prefer the sand but it’s a bit tricky to keep it clean and from going anaerobic. Plants with roots and MTS help it keep funk free. I keep about a dozen snails in my 29g. I have a full hood. When they lay it’s usually on the hood. When the eggs hatch I leave the babies in this tank until they are pea sized and then I move them to a separate tank where they are heavily fed to get them large enough to rehome.

Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom