Snail tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chevypride

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I bought 2 snails when I had my puffer. They were supposed to breed but never did. And I never really thought anything about them again. So when I took down my 30 gallon I just put them in my cichlid tank. There's only one left. Well now I feel bad. Because he never comes out of his shell (he's still alive, he was stuck to the glass yesterday). Can I put him in a 2.5 gallon tank all by himself without a filter or anything if I keep up with water changes? He's just a small chap.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394462419.322757.jpg
This is him. He's in a bowl because I was swapping out substrate and didn't wanna lose him.

is it a mystery snail? throw in a small heater (walmart sells some here for about 5 bucks) and an airstone and he should be okay. put some gravel from your tank in it too

I keep some different snails (Ramshorns, Trumpet snails, and occasionally when I have them, baby Mystery snails,) in a planted bowl.

The air stone would be a safe bet just in case. I have a couple tiny air pumps, I imagine they sell them separately. Mine are Hawkeye 201. They come with very small tank set ups, but mine have done a great job for years of constant service.

This one gets good indirect light and all the plants will release O2 so it doesn't have any air bubbler. There are just a couple little snails in there and there were shrimp too but the rescue Betta and Dwarf African Frogs I had in there for a couple weeks ate them and I haven't replaced them yet.

With a larger type snail I wouldn't chance the O2, but they can go to the top and use their breathing tube, so you could do more research to feel comfortable if you used your plants for O2.

60074-albums12102-picture54575.jpg

This one shown below is no longer in service due to a crack I found in the side of it.

But one of my favorite ones for sure, and the pair of White Cloud Mountain Minnows were only in there for a couple months to see if I could get them to spawn. It was a 3G and I have seen some of these available at Walm*rt for 9.99.

You can use a vase as well. The snails poop a lot, so leaving the bottom bare with a couple decorative stones would make it easy to vac up poop. I usually use sand though and vac it or change out the bottom half of the water periodically (save the cleaner water from the top, and get rid of the dirtier bottom water/clean the substrate). This tank had a mini in tank filter in it but took it out for the pic.

The lamp in the pic has a daylight bulb 6500K, good for plants

I don't scrub all the sides of the glass at the same time though so the film on the glass can be used as a supplement to feed the inhabitants. Feed sparingly.

60074-albums12102-picture55171.jpg

Last edited:
Okay great. Maybe this will be a good time to try my hand on some live plants! I just feel bad for him but don't want to dump a bunch of money on a cheap snail. Especially just one. I think I have an air pump somewhere. I don't have a heater, but air temp keeps my tanks at 75 or so.

Okay great. Maybe this will be a good time to try my hand on some live plants! I just feel bad for him but don't want to dump a bunch of money on a cheap snail. Especially just one. I think I have an air pump somewhere. I don't have a heater, but air temp keeps my tanks at 75 or so.

That is a good temp.

Back
Top Bottom