Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jordynhilliard

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 29 gallon aquarium and recently I had bought 2 live plants for my aquarium. Over the course of a few weeks after I bought them I noticed snails started appearing. These snails are reproducing very fast. I was wondering how I can completely get rid of the snails without killing my fish. I currently have 3 Angel Fish, 1 Rainbow Shark, and 1 Bristle Nose Pleco. I appreciate any help.

You can do a " trap " I've seen a few ppl post about you can to a forum search also , assassin snails , loaches , and I think crawfish will all eat them ..

125gal Waiting for C/A cichlids , 55gal African Cichlids , 75gal "wet pet "oscar , 75 gal empty setting up for ????10gal & 56gal column cycled but no stock

You probably have bladder snails. Very common, and they do reproduce very fast. They lay eggs in small blobs of jelly like material on plants, glass, rocks, etc. You probably introduced a couple of clutches of eggs with the plants.
Next time, dip the plants in a mix of Hydrogen Peroxide, or bleach, and water, and that will kill snails and any algae that might be on the plants too. Or you can dip the plants in a snail killer. If you use bleach or a commercial snail killer, be sure to rinse the plants afterward, thoroughly. For bleach, use with water dosed with at least double the dose of dechlorinator. Hydrogen peroxide does not need to be rinsed off, it degrades into oxygen and water only.

Always safest to assume plants have snails or eggs on them, unless you buy the cultured ones that come with a no snail guarantee.

Back
Top Bottom