Snails From Hornwort

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dritz33

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all, new here and this is my first post!

I was wondering if you could help identify some new critters I found in my tank.

I ordered some Hornwort off of Amazon and finally got it in my tank today. A couple hours later I started to find snails crawling around.

I'm thinking about trying to keep them, just wondering if they are identifiable from these pictures. They aren't the best but they are the best I could do through the glass.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Attachments

• IMG_3072.jpg
    IMG_3072.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3071.jpg
    IMG_3071.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3070.jpg
    IMG_3070.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 23
Pond Snails. Harmless.

The petstore said they thought they were ramshorn, is there a big difference between those and pond snails?

I'm not too worried about them being a problem, I'm actually looking forward to trying to keep them alive for a little bit :D

The petstore said they thought they were ramshorn, is there a big difference between those and pond snails?

I'm not too worried about them being a problem, I'm actually looking forward to trying to keep them alive for a little bit :D

Yes, I believe the correct name for them is Ramshorn. As far as a difference between them and pond snails...I would say minor.

It’s hard to see in the pic, but most likely a pond or bladder snail depending if the shell turns right or left respectively

I had some hitch hikers come in on a plant and kept
them around. There’s some stories floating around about bladder snails taking over a tank but I’ve actually found it to be almost the opposite. They multiplied within reason while the tank was new and now I hardly ever see one in the tank though there’s still a handful living in the filter canister

Overfeeding causes more, Pond Bladder an Ramshorns/ RH, and people with harder water and higher TDS generally see more of them too.

They are good tank cleaners and I think they are pretty and fun tobm watch.

Probably RH from the one pic, hard to see them.

Yea I can say that the bladder snails actually do a really good job cleaning up algae. Especially the stuff the bristle nose plecos and mystery snails don’t bother with. They’ve literally been anything except a pest or invasive, I’m having a hard time trying to keep their population up lol

Back
Top Bottom