So I ordered a few Taiwan Bee Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
Decided to order more PRL shrimp. Then saw that there were some really awesome looking shrimp that wanted to come along for the ride to my house! Have been thinking about these shrimps for years.

2 Extreme Blue Bolts
2 Shadow Pandas
2 Wine Red aka Red King Kong

Additional information in case you didn't know, it is somewhat confusing and there are so many types of shrimp and new colors and names of the colors of shrimp.

Taiwan Bees come from wild Bee Shrimp found in Taiwan, the Bee Shrimp, Caridina Cantonensis.

Other shrimp varieties for Crystal shrimp both red and black variants come from these shrimp mixed with other shrimp.

The Pure Red line shrimp are originated from color morphs of the original shrimp, and not mixed / crossed with the Golden Bee shrimp (used to add white to the shrimp) and line bred to continue the line traits by selecting the best parents with the color you want to breed for.

These Taiwan bee shrimp are combinations of shrimp bred back and forth to get the desired colors.

You can look up
Caridina cantonensis family tree
it is a chart, best detailed version I have seen so far.

Also these can go into the same tank and not worry about cross breeding. Weird huh?

Due to the genetics the babies of the parents will look like themselves.

You can't do that with other Caridina shrimp in general, Tigers and Bees will cross breed.

Last edited:
So now I need to learn a bit more about how the breeding between them works for coloring and patterns. Also in how adding a PRL or Golden Bee changes the crossings.

Although I have read all about these things, it seems to take me awhile to get the understanding clear. Not that I plan to do any specific breeding right now, but am really interested in what happens.

The extreme Blue Bolts used to be hundreds of dollars, because of their newness and limited supply and now $25-100 is frequently the cost. These were much less, not exactly sure since it was an add on package.

I love all the Blue Bolts with decent solid color (especially white is important). Blue and blue to green are very beautiful. And I now have a small group of Red Bolts which need to be separated from the Golden Bees.

This group will possibly get housed in a simple DHG (planted to carpet) and a few stones small tank with a little Crypts and a twiggy DW. I might order an extra light depending upon which tank I pick.

Maybe use the 6.6G Edge which has been stored away. I have a regular Edge and a derimmed glass Edge tank as well.

Under the Moss in my moss DW jar is hopefully still a 10 inch circle of DHG which gets nearly no light being under the huge pad of moss, maybe 6 inches.

This pic makes the jar look small but it is probably 10" across and 12" tall Anchor Hocking 2 or 3G.

The sand is maybe 2" then 3-4 inches of space with DHG before the moss begins to fill up the rest of the jar. I just don't know if I can get the moss cylinder out with out ruining everything. It seems a shame to just leave it since I could use it. Hmmm.

60074-albums12102-picture72555.jpg

Also there is no way to know if any of these will be females. They go for higher prices and since I am getting only 2 of each I am very hopeful, but not expecting pairs, :)

The order shipped last evening. Monday August 24, 2020 Priority mail I think. The company's packaging was A+++ perfect last time and the shrimp were also excellent.

Very nervous as the USPS updates are for Monday the 31st and that is 7 days in the mail.

I am upset but trying to ignore the upset-ness and just wait. Though I then - think that I will be disappointed on Monday when they arrive.

Last time I think they came in 2 days. And were perfect.

So my prayer is that they somehow, by a miracle get here Saturday.

Since the USPS has had some changes recently, there is less over time for hauling mail and mail can be left waiting another day if their trucks don't arrive before the scheduled route to the next destination. Understandable but scary for live animals.

This is why I stopped raising and selling snails. I was a complete basket case worrying about them in transit. I only lost a few out of the hundreds but it still broke my heart. Hope your new babies arrive safely and soon.

Also why I stopped shipping, raising shrimp to sell...
As for the shipping notifications locTions, it WILL be a miracle they come on Saturday.

Wow, I think we got a miracle... last notification said it was in the Eastern part of the country, and 10 minutesago it says out for delivery! They skipped even getting to Denver facility to get shipped from there to me! It's shocking in - good way

Hi,
Are u sure, u want to put the prl shrimp in the jar? If yes, remember to use good shrimp soil for the substrates so the soil can buffer the pH... Hope it's not going to swing..

Happy shrimping...

Back
Top Bottom