SS Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rubes

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm planning on 2 self sustaining tanks. One is 6.3 gallons and one is 10 gallons. I'm planning on scarlet badis and RCS for the 6.3 gallon. For the 10 gallon, I was thinking maybe a blue crayfish with RCS. They will be planted with Staurogyne Repens, Rotala Rotundifolia, Hygrophilia Corymbosa. I was wondering if the crayfish would murder all the RCS outright or it would manage the population reasonably well. If it's going to dig up all the plants, then I can't really have it... I can always put in scarlet badis fry from the 6.3 into the 10 gallon if the crayfish is a no go. All in all, what do you guys think of the plans?

I'm using the Walstad Method. No water changes, only topping off the tank when it evaporates. The idea is that the plants and dirt take care of the chemical filtration.

I forgot to add that the inhabitatats of the tank will eat each other. I won't feed them but they have supply of food in the form of the shrimp and plants if they like them.

I wouldn't ever out shrimp and crayfish together. Not even dwarf cray. What cray do you have in mind? Anything but dwarfs will get too big for a 10 IMO and will rip up your plants. I'll tag along on this thread, I like seeing planted tanks :)

What about tiny freshwater spider crabs? They get along with shrimp.

I currently have a 1 gallon as tank with my blackworms and Java fern in it. I'm thinking you shouldn't do crayfish, because they tend to uproot plants

Sent via echolocation

I wouldn't ever out shrimp and crayfish together. Not even dwarf cray. What cray do you have in mind? Anything but dwarfs will get too big for a 10 IMO and will rip up your plants. I'll tag along on this thread, I like seeing planted tanks :)

I was going for the dwarf version but if they're going to rip up my plants, well. I guess I can't have them. Too bad, really. They're really nice looking and someone on craigslist is selling them for 15 a pop.

Since the crayfish is out, is everything else okay? The spider crabs kinda freak me out and I don't think they would be able to eat anything in there, which defeats the point of self sustaining.

I have a heavily planted 10g; no filter, heater, or light. I only top off, no actualy water changes. I do actually feed the fish & shrimp so I wouldn't call it self sustaining. It's home to least killifish, a pair of otos, RCS, a few nerites, and MTS.

I heard nightmares of the MTS colony takeover xD but other than that, everything seems good? RSC can eat the plants and the basis can eat the plants and shrimp.

Don't think MTS have gotten crazy in this tank, although I do have quite a few in other tanks. It's heavily planted like I said but they show up well against a dark substrate.

img_3305496_0_7e51814355d916f6a60c7cd9ef4eeb47.jpg

Might just put shrimp in the 6.3 and then shift a couple into the ten gallon when the ten runs low.I'll put in the dario dario in the ten. I'm planning on turning the 20 gallon I have into self sustaining, but I think that would only work with the plants as I have a variety of fish altogether. Maybe when they all die, I can add in cherry shrimp from 6.3 into the tank and let that colony grow. And then I could add in scarlet badis fry and let them grow as well! :)

Back
Top Bottom