Strang shaped snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duoxiao929

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi experts of aquariumadvices,

I am new to the hobby. I just got a 25 L tank and bought plants from varies sources. Pond snails start to populate the tank and so on.

However, yesterday i found 6 baby snails of the same clutch, which look like pond snails but they all have a totally flat side on their shell. It is as if a pond snail was cut at the top of their whirls.. but the flat side has solid shell with visible flat whirls, not simply a cut!

They are about 3 mm size.

They also move much slower than pond snails.

Please see the pictures below.

www.dropbox.com/s/kxaxjbpfr2tq4b1/DSC_1760.jpg?dl=0

DSC_1754.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2irca3nwzm..._1754.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h1r7alh2rs..._1755.jpg?dl=0

I searched for hours and have not found anyhing near to it.
My tank ph and kh is normal, other snails including two rabbit snails are thriving.

I could wait until they grow up, but i am too eager to know!

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, welcome to the forum :)

I can't see the pictures, are they displaying your end? Edit - can see them on desktop now.

Last edited:
Sounds to me like baby ramshorn snails. I have tons. They don't do any damage to anything, just poop. Don't do anything beneficial either. They'll be fine in your tank, I wouldn't worry about them.

Hi Nils,

Thank you for your opinion! Have you clicked my link and looked at the pictures? I googled baby ramshorns and they dont look the same to me.

Maybe it is a different mutation?

Hi Nils,

As i keep looking at baby ramshorn pictures, i start to agree with you. At the early stage they do look the same! As they grow, they gain more whorls and will look different.

Thank you so much!

Thats an interesting looking snail! I'd let them grow out.

You may need the dropbox app to see the pics.
I'll do a search too.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm thinking they're a genetic anomaly that may not mature to adult size.

Hi Tbox,

Thanks for the reply. Yes i am keeping all the snails as long as there is much more ugly algae in my tank.
The snail has already grown some whorls today and start to take a coiled shape.

I'm thinking they're a genetic anomaly that may not mature to adult size.

That was what i thought, too! Turned out those are at their "first whorl" stage so they do look fundamentally differnt!

Back
Top Bottom