Substrate for CRS tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amyers22

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm in the planning stages for a larger tank for my CRS colony. I am reading a ton of mixed reviews. After doing a lot of research I was going to get Fluval Shrimp Stratum (I currently use Fluval Plant Stratum) but then I saw that there is a Fluval Shrimp and Plant Stratum. Is this a mixture of their two products? I want to continue to have great plant growth. I also looked into getting ADA Amazonia Aquasoil, but then I read that it breaks down fast and leeches a lot of ammonia in the beginning. I would love to have a substrate that I wouldn't have to change in a year. That would get very expensive. OR is it worth the money? I guess my question is, what substrate is the best and most efficient substrate for keeping Crystal Red Shrimp and plants and still looks nice? I currently use 1/4 tap water and 3/4 RO water to get desired water parameters along with a GH additive, fertilizers, and BorneoWild Vigor.

I think you can do any substrate that like the look of. Go with the one that works better for heavily planted.
Imo the shrimp stratum that is all shaped as black pearls doesnt have a real natural look to it.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think you can do any substrate that like the look of. Go with the one that works better for heavily planted.
Imo the shrimp stratum that is all shaped as black pearls doesnt have a real natural look to it.

Have you kept crystals before? If so, what have you used?

No I haven't kept them yet. RCS colony is it right now. It has a mix of seachem flourite black and black sand.

Gotcha! CRS require a more strict set of parameters so I'm trying to find an active substrate that will buffer the water, but not break down and not leech a lot of ammonia.

I see, good question. Does the fluval shrimp/plant stratum look good?

I really like the look of it. It's dark and shows off plant and shrimp color well and its not too big and not too small.

Did you end up getting the fluval shrimp and plant stratum or did you find a better alternative?

I have decided on Controsoil. I haven't ordered it yet, but the reviews looked good and the price is decent.

Looks like a good choice. Post a pic when your tank is up.

I definitely will. The supplier is waiting on the extra fine black Controsoil to come in so as soon as they get it in I will be able to order it. I'm getting very excited about this new tank and I'm very anxious to get everything shipped.

Back
Top Bottom