Tank Problem with Red Clawed Crabs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vonkster

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have a 10 gallon tank setup for four red clawed crabs. After allowing my tank to cycle for about a month, I tested my tank's water about 4 days before purchasing these pets and everything seemed to be fine except a somewhat high nitrate level (still within recommended parameters though). So....I go by my crabs....put some instant ocean salt into the tank until the water had a specific gravity of about 1.007....and put the crabs in the tank.

A couple of days later, I test my water and find that the amonia levels are somewhat high and the nitrite levels are very high. At first, I suspect the test results could be faulty because I am using an API freshwater test kit to test brackish water; however, most people who have more experience with this then me seem to think that the API freshwater test kit should do fine at that specific gravity. Right now, my crabs seem healthy; however, I don't want that to change if I am poisoning them by the water I have in my tank....any suggestions?

vonkster said:
I currently have a 10 gallon tank setup for four red clawed crabs. After allowing my tank to cycle for about a month, I tested my tank's water about 4 days before purchasing these pets and everything seemed to be fine except a somewhat high nitrate level (still within recommended parameters though). So....I go by my crabs....put some instant ocean salt into the tank until the water had a specific gravity of about 1.007....and put the crabs in the tank.

A couple of days later, I test my water and find that the amonia levels are somewhat high and the nitrite levels are very high. At first, I suspect the test results could be faulty because I am using an API freshwater test kit to test brackish water; however, most people who have more experience with this then me seem to think that the API freshwater test kit should do fine at that specific gravity. Right now, my crabs seem healthy; however, I don't want that to change if I am poisoning them by the water I have in my tank....any suggestions?

PWC with premixed brackish water. Crabs are messy.

Do they have a land area ?

I assume PWC is 'crab poop' so to speak?

I think I have solved the problem.....I put a bottle of Tetra Safe Start in the tank and that seems to have improved the water conditions for my crabs. Perhaps the nitrogen cycle had not started the way I thought it had....

....and yes....my crabs have land area.......

vonkster said:
I assume PWC is 'crab poop' so to speak?

I think I have solved the problem.....I put a bottle of Tetra Safe Start in the tank and that seems to have improved the water conditions for my crabs. Perhaps the nitrogen cycle had not started the way I thought it had....

....and yes....my crabs have land area.......

PWC (Partial Water Change)

Back
Top Bottom