Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Invertebrates
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-03-2018, 09:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thai Micro Crab Care.

Before I get into my question, let me give you some background. I have a 5.5 gallon planted tank for the crabs with hanging plants, hiding places, all peaceful tank mates (horned nerites, 1 scarlet badis, 1 asian stone catfish, cherry shrimp, amano shrimp, various micro organisms like seed shrimp, cyclops, worms etc) which repopulate themselves readily and feed my scarlet badis/ asian stone catfish. I also have crustacean food both crab and shrimp hikari, (In a different tank I have dwarf crayfish too) fresh vegetables, algae wafers, And a sponge filter. the tank is very well established with a good little ecosystem and food chain going, as well as perfect water parameters (no copper besides tiny doses of flourish) 0 ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. Gh 5 Kh 3-4ish TDS 130-140 (changes) Temp 71-73 F. Now on to my question. Iím planning to add some Thai micro crabs and the water parameters seem good for them except for this. My ph sits at around 7.3 no matter what (iíve had problems in the past with ph going to the mid 8.5s and it killed my badis/catfish before so iím glad it stays put) Iím concerned to add the crabs because some sights say the ideal ph for them is 6.2-7.2 while others say 7.2-8 and I donít know what to believe because those are very different. I guess 7.3 is fine but I want to be sure because like I said, Iíve had problems with ph before and I know to take it more seriously now and wouldnít want to experiment because the crabs arenít cheap.

Old 04-04-2018, 12:36 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I keep a few of these guys but they do not seem to have long lives for me I keep shrimp of all kinds pretty well. I have a lower pH of 6.4-7.2 depending upon our water company source - a snow melt lake, when they run out of that water they go to the rock reservoir.
-
Down to one right now. I think TDS could be important too.

This is from the person I would trust to provide accurate information, who actually would know, imo.
Limnopilos naiyanetri "thai micro crab/spider crab" - Invertebrates by Msjinkzd

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 06:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
I keep a few of these guys but they do not seem to have long lives for me I keep shrimp of all kinds pretty well. I have a lower pH of 6.4-7.2 depending upon our water company source - a snow melt lake, when they run out of that water they go to the rock reservoir.
-
Down to one right now. I think TDS could be important too.

This is from the person I would trust to provide accurate information, who actually would know, imo.
Limnopilos naiyanetri "thai micro crab/spider crab" - Invertebrates by Msjinkzd

Thank you for your response! Checking it out right now.

Tags
care, crab, micro

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com