Thinking bout shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lunch

Aquarium Advice Freak
Until recently I've not really been interested in shrimp but now that I have a tank where the biggest fish will be rummy nose I've started contemplating them, done a bit of reading regarding them with the existing fish and every new thing I read seems to contradict the last so was hoping for a bit of clarity..

90ltr fine gravel with 7 large rocks( waiting on ground cover to grow in )
10 neon tetra
9 rummy nose tetra
2 threadfin rainbows

Was thinking maybe 10-15 rcs or similar

You could try some ghost shrimp first to see if you fish attack them or not and if they dont then go to RCS or if you just wanna go to RCS right there then ok.None of your fish should hurt shrimp.

I tried the RCS and only one survived the feast. The biggest one.

What type of shrimp are larger? And inch or so?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Amano shrimp!They get to be about 1.5 inches big but be warned they need calcium.From my expierence if they have too little calcium they have trouble molting to much calcium and they die,also try to get big ones not the babys.Mostly cause the babys I get seem to be a lot more sensitive it seems one has died after 2 weeks

The Armano's are a little lack luster for my taste. Anything with so flash. I am looking for Liberace in shrimp form.

The Armano's are a little lack luster for my taste. Anything with so flash. I am looking for Liberace in shrimp form.

Shrimp are awesome, but requires some patience! I've had a successful shrimp tank for at least a year now, but I had several unsuccessful experiences before. One thing to keep in mind is that the only real "shrimp safe" fish are oto cats. Also, while RCS are relatively easy, they need to be acclimated correctly and water parameters should be monitored. Once they get established and breed, it's really awesome! Good luck!

A bamboo shrimp will have a lot more presence in a tank but they are filter feeders so need that extra bit of attention to make sure they are fed.

Back
Top Bottom