Trees for shrimps!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CrazyLoo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all, I recently bought myself a tank just for shrimps. My son and partner have 2 tropical tanks between them, with a few shrimp in one, which I love, so am planning a tank just for them :) The tank is not huge, but big enough for potential breeding, and I am ken to give them the most 'authentic' slice of nature I can. I have already laid the substrate and filled my tank, it's been cycling for about a week. I set it up as soon as possible, just to give the filter a good long while to get going. I am awaiting the first few plants and mosses in the mail to start the real designing, but what I would love is a tree. Obviously nothing huge, and nothing that I'd have to spend a lot of time 'bonsai-ing', as I'm hoping to be able to keep the tank wire and mesh free. I've been looking into mangrove plants and trees, but when you combine mangrove tree with 'garden centre' in google, it's not all that helpful! Has anyone on here had any experience of growing trees out the top of tanks? Any good e-garden centres I should check out? Any suggestions other than mangrove trees for a small tree that roots into water? I look forward to your responses, and will be taking step-by-step photos of the 'build', will share when it's all done, with or without tree! :)

What you could do is get a nice piece of driftwood or spiderwood and tie moss onto it and when the moss grows then it will end up looking like a tree. Fishing line works for tying it to driftwood. Might take some time but it looks really good in the end.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I had seen a few where this was done, and it can look amazing, but often looks quite surreal to me. I think this may be an option if I can't find a suitable sapling, but was hoping to keep everything 'true' and natural as much as i can.

Mangroves get HUGE. For awhile they will grow slowly but do start growing fast enough where a small tank may not be suitable. Would second the driftwood with attached moss or even Java ferns if want leaves. If wanted to do a tree on top of the tank could set up some form of hydroponically grown on top, but really won't be submerged tbh.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

This is my Java Fern on top of some bogwood. I know you can't really see the wood but if it was on top of a tree stump shaped piece of wood then I think it would work for you.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440795541.872065.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom