Triops in Home Aquaria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Austin.b

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anyone have any experience with keeping triops in their tanks? I was reading about them and came across a link selling them for home aquaria. The species name is Triops Beni-kabuto ebi. Do you think having them in a tank would be a good idea? I don't even know what they would eat...

I think that triops are a smaller species of brine shrimp so I think they will most likely be eaten by other fish if thy are put in an aquarium. I think u can buy special food for them online.

They eat decaying organic matter.

Try this as a resource. The Triops Forum

They seem REALLY COOL. I think they need a bit larger tanks with sand and some open space to do their thing though.

calfishguy said:
I think that triops are a smaller species of brine shrimp so I think they will most likely be eaten by other fish if thy are put in an aquarium. I think u can buy special food for them online.

The ones I've seen are pretty big! I'm sure fish would still try and pick at them though.

some can get pretty big,much bigger than brine shrimp. apparently they can take out small fish

MABJ said:
They eat decaying organic matter.

Try this as a resource. The Triops Forum

They seem REALLY COOL. I think they need a bit larger tanks with sand and some open space to do their thing though.

Thanks for the link! So I would imagine a 10G for maybe 3? I thought feeding them would be hard, but it says you can use carrots, lettuce, and daphnia! I think a 10G tank with these would be pretty cool!

Austin.b said:
Thanks for the link! So I would imagine a 10G for maybe 3? I thought feeding them would be hard, but it says you can use carrots, lettuce, and daphnia! I think a 10G tank with these would be pretty cool!

It would be! And I'd bet you could sell eggs easily. But be forewarned -- they will eat plants.

They aren't brine shrimp in any way shape or form lol. They remind me of fossils. Almost horseshoecrabish. I'm not sure about them taking out fish or other shrimp. I know they like plant matter and decaying matter.

It says about a half gallon per 1. So in a 10g Long** you might be able to do 10+.

Proposing setting up another tank, are we? :p

MABJ said:
It would be! And I'd bet you could sell eggs easily. But be forewarned -- they will eat plants.

They aren't brine shrimp in any way shape or form lol. They remind me of fossils. Almost horseshoecrabish. I'm not sure about them taking out fish or other shrimp. I know they like plant matter and decaying matter.

It says about a half gallon per 1. So in a 10g Long** you might be able to do 10+.

Proposing setting up another tank, are we? :p

I didn't know that! Thanks. I think I would just have some moss and java fern in there anyways lol I wonder how fast they would go through it.
I'm sure they can take out a baby shrimp if they were fast enough, and hungry enough. That tank would be really cool! No, my parents would officially stab me in the face lol I have 4 tanks in my bedroom, technically 7 though lol hmmm should I be the first to have a secret closet triop tank?;) lol

Austin.b said:
I didn't know that! Thanks. I think I would just have some moss and java fern in there anyways lol I wonder how fast they would go through it.
I'm sure they can take out a baby shrimp if they were fast enough, and hungry enough. That tank would be really cool! No, my parents would officially stab me in the face lol I have 4 tanks in my bedroom, technically 7 though lol hmmm should I be the first to have a secret closet triop tank?;) lol

Maybe! I just want to master shrimp first :( I want CBS so bad lol.

Thanks for the triops info, MABJ. Do you think they'd do well with mystery snails?

docbree said:
Thanks for the triops info, MABJ. Do you think they'd do well with mystery snails?

Don't count me an expert! I haven't kept them, but based on their diet, as long as they're well fed, I can see them living with snails just fine.

I've read a lot of articles and just about everything I can find on inverts lol. I retain a lot of it, but nothing tells good info like experience.

Just might have to try adding the little critters - will let you know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom