Trying to breed Apple snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SushiRoll

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 5 of them and I think at least 2 of them are males but I haven't seen any of them breeding so is there any specific age/size for when they are able to breed? Some of them are quite small. Also I've read that you need a lid on your tank otherwise they will escape but mine never come even half out of the water. Anyone know why? I have at least 2 inches for them to come out if they want. Any help will be appreciated.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I think they have to be dime size? Usually 3-4 months old. Here's a good site to look at, I'm a member Applesnail.net

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
16 gallon vampire shrimp and snails

All of my apple snails are bigger than that so why aren't they breeding? ? here's a pic of my tank if that helps
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423240876.737188.jpg

Do you definitely have boy's? If you do they will breed at some point.

Is this even possible?? ??ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423248775.974529.jpg

Cute! Maybe the little one has to grow more Lol

Is it possible for snails body to grow faster than its shell? Because that is what is happening with my ivory.

Is it possible for snails body to grow faster than its shell? Because that is what is happening with my ivory.

Yes, this can happen. My cana snail did exactly that and when she tried to close her shell it wouldn't fully shut as her body was too big.

Ok so another question ? have you ever had a snail dig a shallow hole in the gravel and sit in it?? It looks quite funny because it looks like he is thinking some very deep thoughts ??? I would get a pic but my blue snail is almost completely blocking the view. And he isn't even in his shell he's just sitting there ??

Yep, my snail's do that often. I've just added a new purple apple snail and he loves digging into the sand and sitting in it :)

Haha it's just so funny ? oh and just a minute ago my ivory came a quarter of the way out of the water!! I have NEVER seen them come out that far and it's not like above the water its all dry because there is water droplets every where up there. I'm just kinda starting to think I might have a different type of Apple snail that doesn't lay eggs above water ? oh and I think my golden apple snail is a boy ??

Back
Top Bottom