Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Invertebrates
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-14-2020, 10:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Umm I thought I had a boy...

Click image for larger version

Name:	lp_image.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	235.7 KB
ID:	318097 please help. I thought I had a male mystery snail! Thereís no other snails in my possession and Iíve had Turbo since May. How the heck is this happening?! Thereís an egg sack in my tank!! Attachment 1Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7707.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	230.3 KB
ID:	318098

Old 09-15-2020, 01:15 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Cool you MIGHT get little baby snails, which is very exciting! But it could also be full of duds. Pretty amazing to watch the process!

Females can lay eggs when it is biologically time, and if they are fertilized then maybe babies!!! And often it is not if it is a new momma snail. Mine got a couple duds / clutches and then (there was a male) babies!

You can watch them develop.

They like decent humidity to stay vital, and they breath air in the eggs, so covering them with water they will drown. Their gills develop by the time they hatch.

Don't clean the glass so there is plenty of biofilm for the babies, if there end up being babies!

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 09:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
Cool you MIGHT get little baby snails, which is very exciting! But it could also be full of duds. Pretty amazing to watch the process!

Females can lay eggs when it is biologically time, and if they are fertilized then maybe babies!!! And often it is not if it is a new momma snail. Mine got a couple duds / clutches and then (there was a male) babies!

You can watch them develop.

They like decent humidity to stay vital, and they breath air in the eggs, so covering them with water they will drown. Their gills develop by the time they hatch.

Don't clean the glass so there is plenty of biofilm for the babies, if there end up being babies!

Turbo hasnít had snail interaction since before I got her so she really has no reason to lay. Is this snails form of a period? Lol. Every time sheís laid eggs now (at least 4 clutches on the glass spread across 3 days or so) Iíve removed them but she keeps coming out of the water as if to check on them?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com