Vacuuming question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

earhtmother

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I vaguely remember someone mentioning putting an old stocking over the end of the python tube to do a water change without sucking up fry & I am wondering if I could use this to suck up crud from under the gravel to the surface of it which I could then suck up using the swish method without stocking

Hello ear...

I cover the end of the tube with some netting from an old fish net. But, you really don't need to vacuum the bottom material. The organic material that collects on the bottom of the tank dissolves pretty quickly and you just need to perform a large water change every week to remove it. Vacuuming is extra work you don't need to do.

B

Hello ear...

I cover the end of the tube with some netting from an old fish net. But, you really don't need to vacuum the bottom material. The organic material that collects on the bottom of the tank dissolves pretty quickly and you just need to perform a large water change every week to remove it. Vacuuming is extra work you don't need to do.

B

Is this really true? What about getting rid of fish poop?
Sorry it’s just that when I did my research before delving into the hobby 9 month ago, the readings suggested it was normal maintenance.
Thanks

BB - Normally I don't bother too much about it but my shrimp tank seems to have a rather large accumulation if what I see just below ground level at the front of their tank is any indication (my fault as I know I was overfeeding when I first started this tank) I know I have lots of teeny tinys hence the pantyhose tube covering. Don't need tank spotless just cleaner than it is

Lots of people say not to bother but I personally find that even with water changes the tank tends to develop a bit of an oily film on the top if I stop vacuuming entirely.

So yeah, I do it rarely but I still do it. I generally just go really slowly. Even the tiny ones try to get away when something is coming at them. Then I check the bucket and use airline tube to rescue any I missed. I’m sure there are a few casualties but I only vac every couple months so losses are minimal.

Benificial bacteria not only grows in the filter, but also on the rocks, driftwood and the gravel bed. If a proper balance can be met with large regular WC's, sensible feeding and a proper stocking level, really no need to gravel vac.
When battling a parasitic outbreak, such as Ick or Oodinium, gravel vacs are vital in order to dilute the parasite population.
Now saying all this, I'll admit that I vac the gravel "big time" every week in my tanks just because I like the look of freshly cleaned gravel.:facepalm:

Yeah I wouldn't care except for the way the gravel looks at the front of the glass - once its clean doubt I'll vacuum again for at least 6 mths
20180304_170511.jpg
20180304_170535.jpg
20180304_170635.jpg

Benificial bacteria not only grows in the filter, but also on the rocks, driftwood and the gravel bed. If a proper balance can be met with large regular WC's, sensible feeding and a proper stocking level, really no need to gravel vac.

When battling a parasitic outbreak, such as Ick or Oodinium, gravel vacs are vital in order to dilute the parasite population.

Now saying all this, I'll admit that I vac the gravel "big time" every week in my tanks just because I like the look of freshly cleaned gravel.:facepalm:

Lol...I’m the same way...I found where the the dirt primarily settles so I hit that faithfully.
Thanks for the info.

Yeah I wouldn't care except for the way the gravel looks at the front of the glass -

That’s what gets me too.

Yes my fish are fine and my levels look good and my plants are probably liking the fertilizer but I just don’t like to have to look at the dirt especially in the front of the tank against the glass.

That and that little bit of protein skim at the top, especially in my shrimp tank where the filtration is so much gentler. No thanks. So yeah I do just enough gravel vaccing so that doesn’t happen!

Larger substrate (such as pea gravel) has larger void spaces. More volume for debris to collect. Sand, on the other hand, has minimal space and debris usually stay at the top.
If you find it unsightly, then vacuum the front.

I vacuumed my gravel when I had it everytime my weekly water changes came up. Not too heavy but enough where it looked better and felt my fish where safe. The only problem with bad build up is that it starts messing with your levels in the water ph too high or too low, ammonia, nitrate getting too high will cause problems for your fish. Then you find yourself struggling just to keep your fish alive when it could have been avoided. And when your fish are in toxic waters their life is shortened. But in well maintained waters they live a happy longer life.

I vacuum every water change, because that’s the way I was taught. I put nothing on the tube; I’m just careful where I’m vacuuming. I do a 10% change every 2 weeks (also the way I was taught) and this keeps a very nice, clean, healthy tank.

Never understood the reluctance to gravel vac at least the surface every water change. It's easy and cleans it up. BB does grow in the substrate....but there's a method....deep gravel vac on 1/3 of the tank bottom every water change until you've completed the entire bottom. I do this every 3 months.... weekly I hit the surface during my water change. Plus, why not?

Hello mp...

Everything that goes into the water dissolves. If you keep a well planted tank, you don't want to vacuum the bottom, you're removing nutrients if you do. The large, weekly water change is all that's needed to maintain a steady and healthy water chemistry. This hobby is 100 percent about the water. If you tend to the water properly, you'll have no tank problems.

B

I agree that there are situations where vacuuming the substrate is neither practical or necessary. For instance, my current setup features leaf litter over a thin layer of sand. Leaf litter breaks down and releases tannins and provides a food source for infusoria. I see fish/snail waste on the sand. There is no practical way to remove it.
However, in some situations it can be beneficial and is necessary. High capacity setups such as African cichlids generate a lot of waste. Yes, water changes are needed to deal with it but why not remove the intact waste BEFORE it gets the chance to fully break down. Take the “poop in the swimming pool” analogy. It it preferable to remove the waste intact in a prompt manner. Leaving it in the system and relying on new water to flush it out may not be the best solution (okay, swimming pools use a lot of chemicals as well). This thought process is used in many indoor aquaculture and marine systems where water quality is paramount. Settling chambers, screens, weirs, filter socks, and other mechanical filtration is used to capture waste for frequent removal (often daily). This does not reduce the need for water changes; it is a way to reduce the amount of substances introduced into a system.

If you look closely at a natural lake, you have a constant source of incoming and outgoing water. The waste material is deposited by the fish and plants and dissolves in the water. The old, polluted water flows away and is renewed by the incoming water. It's the same with a tank. The fish and plants do their business in the water and we remove most of it through the large, weekly water change. The toxins in the water that's left is diluted to a very safe level in all the new, treated tap water. So, you maintain a balanced water chemistry. The problem most fish keepers have is they don't remove and replace most of the water every week. They slack off here and there and this translates into an imbalance in the water and failure in keeping the fish alive and healthy.

B

The problem with the lake analogy when applied to closed systems like aquariums is the biomass per volume ratio. If aquariums were natural bodies of water, the majority would be severely overstocked.
Not arguing about water changes. They are necessary. Just talking about the debris removal.
Back to the OP, shrimp tanks with non-active substrates can be but are not always vacuumed. I have never heard of folks vacuuming active substrates (such as aqua soil). Those substrates are usually “exhausted” after a few years and are replaced.

Well whoever suggested the used sock said wrong lol. Better to use new socks instead of used ones. Ok just kidding. So for shrimps you really don't need to vacuum substrate. If its shrimp only tank then just don't do overfeedings and you ll be good. Also if you have fish then still any left over will be shrimps meal and any poop etc your filter will take.

Also for shrimps you don't need weekly water changes. Not recommended. They are very sensitive to water changes

Back
Top Bottom