What fertilizers are compatible with shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gobluewolverines4

Aquarium Advice Activist
Obviously I can't use anything with copper. And I don't wanna dirty my tank, any suggestions?

Copper is an essential element even for inverts, and its totally fine in trace amounts. I know many including myself who dose ferts with inverts and no issues.

I'm not sure if they make any completely copper free commercial fert mixes.

It is to worry about. I did use with coppers and gone were my shrimp. Use CO2 as fertilizer, and direct sunlight

It is to worry about. I did use with coppers and gone were my shrimp. Use CO2 as fertilizer, and direct sunlight

I would look into something else as the problem besides the trace amounts of copper in commercial ferts. Like I said, tons of people use them with no problems including myself and plenty of other people on here and elsewhere, if it were a copper issue we'd all have dead shrimp.

Plants need more than co2 and sunlight.

If it's a low tech tank you can probably get by without dosing any micromix at all, so that's another viable option if the copper thing is a problem.

Last edited:
It was the copper, tried it couple of times on some shrimp, im u. The Netherlands, maybe rules and compositions or ferts are different

It was the copper, tried it couple of times on some shrimp, im u. The Netherlands, maybe rules and compositions or ferts are different

It could be. Source water can play a large factor as well. I know some people who have had issues because they have old piping in their house.

I've been breeding shrimp for years here and using commercial ferts like flourish and csm+b without any problem at all, the plants utilize the micronutrients, so between that and regular water changes it doesn't have a chance to build up. Everyone makes the connection that copper kills inverts but copper is still an essential element to inverts also, they just can't handle high levels of it.

jetajockey said:
It could be. Source water can play a large factor as well. I know some people who have had issues because they have old piping in their house.

I've been breeding shrimp for years here and using commercial ferts like flourish and csm+b without any problem at all, the plants utilize the micronutrients, so between that and regular water changes it doesn't have a chance to build up. Everyone makes the connection that copper kills inverts but copper is still an essential element to inverts also, they just can't handle high levels of it.

So seachem flourish is a good idea? I don't even know if I need it.. my java moss is growing so fast!

Back
Top Bottom