What is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xEzio

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I found this little guy at my LFS. I was wondering what type of crayfish is this.

I would also like some info if I decide to get him. (Min Tank size, filters, substrates, etc.)

Crayfish - Imgur

Thanks!

Might be the self cloning type, which reproduces in large numbers. Might just be a young wild form cray. Hard to tell.
They need the same general conditions as many shrimp do, alkaline water, reasonably hard water, but size of tank depends a lot on how large the cray will become. Many get to be 8 inches or so. Filtration should be whatever suits the tank size, they need very clean water, so an HOB type at least big enough for the tank. Almost any substrate do, they need some hiding places, and many of them are fairly well known for eating the plants, and in some cases for catching fish or other small critters in the tank with them and eating them.

Thanks for the reply. Post almost to all the site I know, and no one knows what type he/she is. I'll keep waiting then.

I believe it is a Texan dwarf crayfish Cambarellus puer texanus... not too much info available. They are found in roadside ditches as well as river systems and are known to tunnel into the ground if their ditch dries up! Apparently easy to keep and unfussy about substrate, water conditions etc. Temperature 18 - 25C Feed on anything yo feed othe crays or shirmp. Can be kept safely with shrimp.

Just got some in at work. I also keep ordering mini mexican orange crays, but yet to receive them, despite them being on my suppliers availability list every week!

Back
Top Bottom