what is this snail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashleynicole

Aquarium Advice Addict
So a few weeks ago we went to Alexander springs, which is a freshwater spring in Florida, and my 6 year old daughter brought home a minnow and some snails. That minnow looks like a plain guppy and eats voraciously so I assume it is a mosquito fish. But one of these snails has gotten HUGE! I see them all in the sand in the springs and I thought they look a lot like the Malaysian trumpet snails in my tank. But ive never seen a MTS get so big. What do you think it is?

ForumRunner_20130714_123014.jpg

Here are a couple of pictures in my hand for size reference... and I have big hands for a female. The second pic he was starting to come out.

If it's not a MTS do they reproduce sexual or asexual?

Edit, can't get pics to upload on android app. Will try again later

Ok since pictures aren't working I would say for size this thing is between 1.5 to 2 inches and I believe mts only get about an inch?

Thanks for the links. I've been googling and will check them out.

Guide list two Melania
The one found in springs is listed at 30-36 mm so it is the size range.

Guide list two Melania
The one found in springs is listed at 30-36 mm so it is the size range.

Yes I was looking at that. I really think that must be it because it basically looks like a MTS on steroids. Just a different species of the same I guess.

I have come to the conclusion that this is Melanoides turricula

"interestingly, *the two species have separated themselves out in their adopted Florida ranges,*M. tuberculata*in quieter, enriched turbid waters and*M. turricola*in cleaner, clearer springs"

although I think I have it identified I would appreciate anyone else who has any input.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom