I have a 5gal fluval spec aquarium with a betta, a nerite snail, and until this afternoon, about 20 red cherry shrimp.
I bought the shrimp 2 days ago, and as of this morning, they seemed fine. When I got home from work today, the shrimp were all dead. ALL OF THEM.
I quickly tested the water: pH 7.6, ammonia 0, nitrate 0, nitrite 0. Temp = 78. I have a Purigen thingy in the filter.
What. The. HECK.
My only guess at this point is that there must be a toxin in the water which killed them. There does seem to be a lot (A LOT) of stringy clear/white bacterial (I assume) slime throughout the tank and on the surface of the water. I thought they'd eat it. Apparently it killed them. NOOOOOOOO!!!
What can I do???